Type 1 And Smoking Cannibis

Pj1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive been newly diagnosed wity type 1 and i just wanted to weather i should stop smoking weed i have smoked it for years but recently cut down to once or twice a week i am 22, iknow smoking is bad anyway and wont help but say it i cut down even more and just did it once every 2 weeks would i need to worry? This is all new to me and has changed my life completetly i am worried but hopefully that goes and i can live a normal life still.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Pj1996

Welcome to the forum. & great to see you here!

As you are newly diagnosed, getting acquainted with your meds/carb counting/testing & all that goes with it. It may do you a favour just giving the 'erb a miss..? It does have a habit of "masking" the early onset of hypos. losing any track of time, may also hinder reaction if you go low too?

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: Picci and Pj1996

Pj1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thank you for the reply ive been checking my BG hourly as im abit paranoid it hasnt effected my BG smoking it but i see what you mean also makes me hungry for things i cant eat now ill probably cut it out for now until i feel 100% again :)

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, ok I have smoked weed on and off for a long time. I will say that smoking tobacco to mix with the weed is never going to be a good thing and I am always concerned by the possibility of becoming a tobacco addict when people do that.
However, I am very pro the legalisation of cannabis not least because I have found my control and general well being is improved during the periods when I have had a regular supply of decent quality weed.

Having said that, everyone reacts differently. I don't think it is a coincidence that I have never had a "whitie" no matter how much I have consumed, I think my body just does really well with cannabis. Some people do not do so well and this should always be considered.

Just make sure you keep testing your blood when you smoke, just to keep an eye on things, try not to go over the top with sweet snacks and maybe try to get on top of your diabetes and used to dealing with it without being stoned for a while before deciding to mix the two up.
I do maintain though that for me, cannabis makes my control much better and also has a kind of vitalising effect over time.

Reactions: kev-w and Pj1996

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit

Pj1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, ok I have smoked weed on and off for a long time. I will say that smoking tobacco to mix with the weed is never going to be a good thing and I am always concerned by the possibility of becoming a tobacco addict when people do that.
However, I am very pro the legalisation of cannabis not least because I have found my control and general well being is improved during the periods when I have had a regular supply of decent quality weed.

Having said that, everyone reacts differently. I don't think it is a coincidence that I have never had a "whitie" no matter how much I have consumed, I think my body just does really well with cannabis. Some people do not do so well and this should always be considered.

Just make sure you keep testing your blood when you smoke, just to keep an eye on things, try not to go over the top with sweet snacks and maybe try to get on top of your diabetes and used to dealing with it without being stoned for a while before deciding to mix the two up.
I do maintain though that for me, cannabis makes my control much better and also has a kind of vitalising effect over time.
Hi thanks for your reply i feel abit better about it now but i will cut it out for now just because it is new to me and quite overwhelmeing

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for your reply i feel abit better about it now but i will cut it out for now just because it is new to me and quite overwhelmeing

That is probably for the best. You have plenty of times in the future when you can get stoned if it's just for recreation. Right now, getting used to your diabetes is the most important thing. On the upside, having a break will lower your tolerance so when you do get stoned again it'll be cheaper! ;)

Pj1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is probably for the best. You have plenty of times in the future when you can get stoned if it's just for recreation. Right now, getting used to your diabetes is the most important thing. On the upside, having a break will lower your tolerance so when you do get stoned again it'll be cheaper! ;)
Yes suppose theres always an upside to things thank you again

Reactions: kev-w and Sophia78

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thank you for the reply ive been checking my BG hourly as im abit paranoid it hasnt effected my BG smoking it but i see what you mean also makes me hungry for things i cant eat now ill probably cut it out for now until i feel 100% again :)

No problem. I was more commenting from the "health & safety" aspect for a new Diabetic understanding the insulin regime now thrown into the "mix." ;):)

@Sophia78 , i never "lost it" either. (back in the day.) But then i've always been hypo aware too.
I don't feel it's about the "benefits" from cannabis. More to do with the focus that can be lost on diabetes control, whilst under its influence.. :)

Reactions: Picci

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem. I was more commenting from the "health & safety" aspect for a new Diabetic understanding the insulin regime now thrown into the "mix." ;):)

@Sophia78 , i never "lost it" either. (back in the day.) But then i've always been hypo aware too.
I don't feel it's about the "benefits" from cannabis. More to do with the focus that can be lost on diabetes control, whilst under its influence.. :)

Oh I agree, that's why I suggested taking a break and focusing on getting used to dealing with the diabetes for now. I had been a T1 for a couple of years before I tried cannabis for the first time and had been a T1 for a good few years before I started smoking it with any regularity.

Reactions: Pj1996

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am t2. I have only ever smoked a spliff once in my life.
I remember it so well. I smoked the whole thing. To be honest, I have no idea how much cannibis was in it because someone gave it to me because I asked for a quick puff.
After finishing it, I felt well and truly relax but boy did I feel so drunk like and threw up everywhere. Much to the delight of the others. Not touched ever since.
People smoking cannibis doesn,t bother me.
I do think it should be prescribed to people who have pain that cam,t be controlled with traditional med, even for people that have MS etc

Reactions: Pj1996

Taliesin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice, intolerance, bad manners, things that offend my neuropathy, food, the few days before a hospital visit, being helpless, "does he take sugar", wilful ignorance
If anyone's after smoking weed and doesn't want to mix it with tobacco (by far and away the most dangerous thing you can do with the stuff if you ask me), Amazon do a variety of "herb vapourisers": basically tiny ovens that bake the weed so that the interesting components can be inhaled. There's very little after-taste (if any), which works for me as I can't stand the taste of it, and in the few months I've been using mine I haven't noticed any stickiness which would indicate the presence of tar. I'm using it for unrelated medical problems, for what it's worth. Search on the word "herbva" [sic]...

PC16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi pj1996 - quitting weed can be hard specially with the strains that are about now, if you find it hard seek help if you can...

I smoked both cigs and weed including hash in the 1990's and I did not quit till I was diagnosed however my case I was so messed up with DKA I couldn't walk let alone get out of hospital for a quick cig, that said a month passed while in my hospital bed and I did not need either a cig or a joint which was really strange as it had been a part of my life for so long, I did feel the need for nicotine so I took up vaping, making my own juice with <1mg/ml nic nothing you could buy off the shelf.... Were weed is concerned I had a ton(oz) left over as a close friend was, well I'l say gardening for a living, he passed away about 2 year ago, so I still have a few gram sat in a bag wrapped in clingfilm and every 2 or 3 months i'l pop a little and I mean a little in a M4 cloutank and have a small vape for old time sake, I time it just before my dinner so the munchies are covered by my insulin dose, this works for me, as for going back to smoking daily and nightly getting toasted, even if was legalised I think I would pass.

Oh yer welcome to type 1 diabetes it does get easier, 1 day at a time!

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Don't really want to express an opinion due to the grief that usually goes along with any thing to do with drugs but even a simple "google" of the subject would get you surprising results with people even starting using cannabis after a diagnoses, there are reports of blood glucose levels dropping whilst using the plant, sorry, drug along with other medical studies that show benefiting results for various types of patient and sorry no I can't provide links to back anything up but they are out there.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a long term toker as far as it goes, I prefer weed to alcohol as a recreational substance, as previously mentioned the affects can hide a hypo coming on, and the munchies can give you a bad spike, I'd probably suggest cutting down or quitting until you get your head round the illness, and if you are smoking, make sure you record having your basal on a night to save confusion at bedtime.....

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Maybe give it a wee break until you’ve got the hang of T1, especially at bedtime as you wouldn’t want to sleep through any night hypos. Perhaps keep some low carb snack in just in case you do get the munchies - they wouldn’t have such an impact on your sugar levels.

Chris-t1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've smoked de erb for over 12 years and I was diagnosed type 1 last Monday,
Mate, my advice is to stop for at least a year, give your self time to adjust and learn about your body and diabetes!
The other day I smoked half a joint and it sent me into horrible paranoia!! It was grim lol