Type 1 and triathlon

mbommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I am new to discussing diabetes online but thought I'd give it a go since we all have some knowledge to help each other.

I've had T1 since I am 14 and have been lucky to do a lot of sports, keeping my sugar quite healthy so far. After a few marathons I am training now for my first triathlon (olympic distance), but am a bit (very!) nervous about that open water swim.

- What sugar level do you aim for before that 1.5km swim?
- How/what do you take with during the swim in case you run low? For now I just thought about gels under the swim cap.
- Any particular advice on how to test your sugar during the ride that does not include stopping (i.e. strapping your gluco meter to the bar)?

If you guys had any experience with this kind of activity I'd be grateful if you could share a few tips.

Cheers,

Max

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Max and welcome to the forum :)

Well done for not letting diabetes hold you back in your sporting achievements, hopefully some other type 1's will see your thread and respond, however you might also want to have a look at Runsweet which was set-up for people with type 1 diabetes who enjoy sport:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Good luck with the Triathlon.

Reactions: 2 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I marshal on triathlons, and a few years ago, at Henley Challenge Triathlon, the official was faced with a question from a woman who wanted to express breast milk using a pump during the bike. This was ruled illegal, as it would interfere with control of the bike. I reckon the same would apply to use of a blood glucose meter. So, you would have to stop to test during bike ride - or test only in transition.

As well as Runsweet, Team Blood Glucose is another good website for diabetes and sport - see http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Home.html

mbommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys! I'll have a look at those websites and try to find out more.

I've heard similar stories regarding stuff strapped to your bike, I guess I'd need to find an alternative.

Stay fit and healthy ;)

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Max,

Much like you, I've been a diabetic most of my life, diagnosed when I was 4, I'm now nearly 34, and like you I wanted to try a tri. I've completed sprint triathlons previously, but entered the Windsor Triathlon Olympic distance last month and really enjoyed it. The swim was my weakest discipline and had been training for it, once I'd finished I was wondering what all my worrying was about! Before the swim I made sure my blood sugars were a little higher, they were around 10. I ate one Cliff Gel Shot before jumping in and had stuffed a gel shot under each wrist just in case, which weren't required.

The beauty with a triathlon is that you have a small amount of time in transition to prep for the next discipline with access to your all your gear. At each transition I tested my blood sugar and ate Jelly Babies if necessary, I was aiming for around 6/7mmol. On the bike I carried a 750ml bottle of low sugar energy fluid, at T2 I forgot to test and it showed 3km into the run so took on two tubes of the gels I was carrying on my race belt.

In hindsight, other than testing my blood sugar at T2, I should have carried and taken on a energy/cereal bar nearing the end of the bike.

Good luck!

Nick

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck, you are a star in not letting diabetes hold you back from participating in the triathlon .

All the very best for a safe and a healthy triathlon :)

Reactions: 3 people

mbommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nick,

thank you so much, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I thought about the the gels under the wrist, but not sure whether I will use a swimsuit since the race is end of August in Switzerland and the water might still be warm. But I can easily hide them under the swim cap :)

As you said, like most newbies to triathlon, I am nervous about the swimming, but I guess I should be fine since I train regularly. It was really more about being ready in case of a hypo in the open water.

Transitions are good for us indeed, as testing the sugar level within record time while doing something else (e.g. getting out of a swimsuit) is a strength of diabetics who are into sports :)

I am really looking forward to that new challenge and will test as much as I can during my training.

May I ask how it went for your Olympic? Sugar wise all went fine as it seems, how about your overall time? Did your sugar level drop that much when you were checking at T1?

Cheers,

Max

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Max,

No problem. I'm not sure where you're doing your Triathlon or if you've tried a triathlon wet suit, but they're different to a regular suit. One of the main difference being the floatation aids in the back; I was surprised how much they helped raise my body up whilst swimming. There are companies on the web that hire them out, perhaps it may be an idea to look into it.

Once you get there you'll be surprised, a friend of mine does the swim using breaststroke only and great through it fine. And don't forget there will be plenty of help in the water, lifeguards floating around in kayaks and boats.

I came in around 3 hours 5 mins, my transitions were a little longer than I liked, coming out of the water I was a little too eager and head butted the step, I was a little dazed and cut my head. With that, testing blood sugars and changing for the ride, my T1 was a longer than I liked but my thankfully my blood sugars were spot on at T1, around 6. It was T2 which was the issue, but I guess it was always going to be after two hours of exercise.

Get your eyes set on the Bala Half Ironman next year, we'll do it together!

Nick

mbommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nick,

I'll do the triathlon in Zurich, Switzerland. Not sure the wet-suit will be allowed, because right now the lake is very warm. I tried a wet-suit few weeks ago, during an open water swim training with a triathlete club (all bloody machines, most of them IM finishers, even 2 "Kona guys"). A guy owning a tri-gear shop was borrowing wet-suits to test during the training. Unfortunately the one I got was too tight, making it difficult to breathe. Since he said it's normal and I don't really have experience with swimming in wet-suits I tried it out for that 1 hour. Big fail! That day happened to be a "speed training" in the lake and my 1st long swim out did not really contribute to bring down the nervousness. Anyways, since then a friend, same size, gave me his we-suit and now I am good to go :)

I hope your head is fine now, sounds pretty violent! Any further triathlons on the agenda this year?

1/2 IM is definitely something I'd try if I enjoy that 1st Olympic as much as I expect. I'll let you know how it went here in Switzerland, so we can share some more tips.

Cheers,

Max

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the length of the bike leg on the Olympic distance? 25miles/42km - making it an hour and a bit?

Obviously you have
Pre swim Test
Swim
T1 - Test
Bike
T2 - Test
10km run
Test, collapse and try to breathe, walk, crawl etc

The sticky bit as you say is the bike. I've can test whilst on the turbo trainer, but it's still a bit bouncy, I wouldn't even try whilst on the road.

One strategy could be test at T1, eat as required. Then when on the bike, just take a gel every 30 minutes, assuming that will sustain you, and then test again at T2. You may end up running a bit higher than ideal into T2, but could adjust accordingly. I would also try this out in practice first, maybe with a couple of reverse brick sessions, i.e. run then bike just to make sure you're already mid session when you start the bike

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Max

We'll done on deciding to do a triathlon..... Takes a lot of guts to do one especially with t1! I'm doing my first Ironman next year so am in the same boat as you, but the more I read and take advice from the guys on these forums the less I'm actually worrying about the race and concentrating more on my training.
A couple of friends of mine are triathletes and have recommended putting gels under my wetsuit or cap or even using an elastic band to attach a gel to beach wrist! They also recommend practicing a few times trying to take a gel whilst in the water ie swimming on your back and getting gel from wherever it may be (also good to practice taking your goggles off and on whilst swimming just in case they get knocked off or steam up)
I'm planning on testing bs at both of the transitions but also during the ride. A good time to do this maybe if you stop for a toilet break and to be honest if your taking on the correct amount of fluids you're probably going to need at least one stop. As for the run I was thinking of carrying my meter etc in one of those arm straps normally used for holding a mobile phone whilst running. I'm not planning on stopping during the run but reckon I can test whilst running (theres a bloody big hill on the race I'm doing so will do it then to take my mind of it!)

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Cheers

Rich

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are concerned, you could look at CGM as an option. Strapping a Dexcom receiver (or an xDrip/Phone) to your bike would be relatively straightforward and wouldn't impede control during the ride.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Max

We'll done on deciding to do a triathlon..... Takes a lot of guts to do one especially with t1! I'm doing my first Ironman next year so am in the same boat as you, but the more I read and take advice from the guys on these forums the less I'm actually worrying about the race and concentrating more on my training.
A couple of friends of mine are triathletes and have recommended putting gels under my wetsuit or cap or even using an elastic band to attach a gel to beach wrist! They also recommend practicing a few times trying to take a gel whilst in the water ie swimming on your back and getting gel from wherever it may be (also good to practice taking your goggles off and on whilst swimming just in case they get knocked off or steam up)
I'm planning on testing bs at both of the transitions but also during the ride. A good time to do this maybe if you stop for a toilet break and to be honest if your taking on the correct amount of fluids you're probably going to need at least one stop. As for the run I was thinking of carrying my meter etc in one of those arm straps normally used for holding a mobile phone whilst running. I'm not planning on stopping during the run but reckon I can test whilst running (theres a bloody big hill on the race I'm doing so will do it then to take my mind of it!)

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Cheers

Rich

Over an iron man, stopping on the run to test will cost you maybe 30secs-1 min as you slow down to a walk. I run ultras and don't consider it a major disadvantage to stop and test as part of a run/walk strategy.

On the bike you will lose more time, but no more than a minute in reality. Stopping maybe 8 times over the ride, will that make a difference?

As to the swim, I'm clueless

mbommy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

thanks a lot for your replies and support! I finally did that bloody triathlon last weekend and it was amazing. What an experience, what a feeling!
No BS issue, I started with stable sugar in the morning, had a light breakfast (banana, white yoghurt, small glass of orange juice, cup of coffee) and arrived on site approx. 2 hours before start with a BS of 8mmol.

I started the 1.5km swim by taking some sugar tablets (Dextro Energy) just before entering the water. No wetsuit as it was pretty hot. 1st doubt: will I make in a good time without it? To avoid any problems, I took a gel under my swim cap. After 750m, Australian exit, few meters run and back to the water. I was so concerned about that 1st discipline, but in the end the focus and adrenaline are so intense that I did not see the time pass.

T1:: Out of the water, running to the bike (to my surprise no dizziness). 1st big shock: I had had left my glucometer next to the bike, but with 34 degrees the engine was overheating! So it was impossible to test at that point, which was the plan. Good thing is I had tried 1 week earlier the Dexcom CGM and had that sensor on the upper abs that day :) Fortunately, I was online 1 minute later on the bike. I had prepared my cycling jersey with the CGM monitor in the pocket. It was showing a good 11mmol. Slightly high, but actually perfect to tackle the 40km ride. Nothing special there, a perfectly flat track around the lake, what a moment. I felt good, had some sips of my isotonic drink every now and then and finished the bike with 10mmol. I could not believe I was already starting the run!!!

T2: I change the jersey for a sleeveless t-shirt take a pack of DextroEnergy tabs for the 10km and leave the CGM monitor at transition (felt good about running without testing for 10km). Next issue, I feel completely dry!!! I realise I had not drunk enough on the bike. After my few sips of isotonic drink I stopped drinking to avoid shooting up my BS level. My bike was full of sweet drinks and sweet powerbars, but no water! Hard lesson to take: also plan for the normal case. I always plan for the worst case scenario, having enough sweet reserves here and there. Ironically this time, I tricked myself and faced a problem I never had before.

Despite having run 2 marathons and trained with quite some running sessions I admit these 10km were the longest and hardest I had to run so far. Dehydration, heat and heavy legs after the bike and swim were really testing my motivation for the final run. Fortunately there was a water station after 4km. I walked, had 3 cups of water, 1 sponge to cool down the body and started running again for the final km. I felt better then, had to walk again for 30 seconds (I was angry at myself I could not hold 10km in a row for the 1st time) and had 3 tablets of Dextro to boost me for the end. Close to the end, I felt my CGM sensor falling of, probably because of the sweat and the belt with my race number moving up and down against it.

Gran Finale: little sprint to finish my first triathlon. The end was a bit hard but the experience was worth every second! I can only recommend it.
In the end I finished in 2h41 with a 33min swim, 1h10 ride and 52min run.

I could talk/write about those 3 hours another 10 pages, but I will leave it there ;) In case some of you would like try but hesitate because of the sugar, trust me, you will manage! if you can handle your sugar through regular training sessions, then this kind of distances is absolutely feasible.

Since I am bit stupid and willing to discover more, I registered this morning to the Ironman 70.3 in Mallorca next May!!! I go there as I have 2 cousins and a friend who want to do it as well. Training will be a bit more intense, but after last Sunday I will tackle this next challenge with a bit more confidence :)

We have to be very careful - all the time, every minute - with our sugar and plan a lot in advance, but I can confirm that for sports like triathlon this can be of advantage since it's a lot about nutrition and knowing how your body reacts.

Enough talking, back to enjoying sports and hopefully I could help/motivate some of you to try it out yourself. Any questions, feel free to ask, I'd love to help.

Thanks again for your advice guys, take care!

Max

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Max, fantastic effort and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully mine will go as well! Keep up the hard work!

marty313

Hi everyone,

Despite having run 2 marathons and trained with quite some running sessions I admit these 10km were the longest and hardest I had to run so far. ...

Gran Finale: little sprint to finish my first triathlon. The end was a bit hard but the experience was worth every second! I can only recommend it.
In the end I finished in 2h41 with a 33min swim, 1h10 ride and 52min run.

We have to be very careful - all the time, every minute - with our sugar and plan a lot in advance, but I can confirm that for sports like triathlon this can be of advantage since it's a lot about nutrition and knowing how your body reacts.

Enough talking, back to enjoying sports and hopefully I could help/motivate some of you to try it out yourself. Any questions, feel free to ask, I'd love to help.

Thanks again for your advice guys, take care!

Max

Excellent! I, too, did an Olympic triathlon this year, but being M60 I needed 3:01:53.

marty313

I marshal on triathlons, and a few years ago, at Henley Challenge Triathlon, the official was faced with a question from a woman who wanted to express breast milk using a pump during the bike. This was ruled illegal, as it would interfere with control of the bike. I reckon the same would apply to use of a blood glucose meter. So, you would have to stop to test during bike ride - or test only in transition.

As well as Runsweet, Team Blood Glucose is another good website for diabetes and sport - see http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Home.html
I use continuous glucose monitoring (Abbot Libre 2 or 3) with my mobile phone as the reader. Mobile phones and smartwatches are banned by the official rules, so you have to ask the technical director ahead of the competition. I have performed in 5 triathlons since August 2022 (all in Norway), getting an exception has never been s problem, but you need to ask to avoid being penalised.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use continuous glucose monitoring (Abbot Libre 2 or 3) with my mobile phone as the reader. Mobile phones and smartwatches are banned by the official rules, so you have to ask the technical director ahead of the competition. I have performed in 5 triathlons since August 2022 (all in Norway), getting an exception has never been s problem, but you need to ask to avoid being penalised.
Very useful advice, but this thread is 8 years old, and the member you're reacting to hasn't been seen in 6 years so chances are they won't notice.

marty313

Very useful advice, but this thread is 8 years old, and the member you're reacting to hasn't been seen in 6 years so chances are they won't notice.
True. But the description of this Olympic triathlon is still very valuable even though it is from 2015.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77