1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 diabetes and vomiting - Please help!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by npatel19, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi buddy,

Sort of.. (In laymans terms.) If the blood sugars are stable & in the "zone" but fasting has happened through loss of appetite sickness or even adopting a "ketogenic diet" then there can be keytone traces during testing. "Nutritional Ketosis."
    But this can be confused with "ketoacitosis" in a diabetic which can be dangerous but only coinciding very high blood glucose levels..?
    But yes illness can cause high BGs. & can lead if un treated prolonged, to high ketones resulting in ketoacitosis..

@npatel19 appears to have pretty good BG managment though high at the start) despite fasting through sickness & keytones as well as BG seem to be at a safe level. Due to eating carbs. & manag

The two can be confused, but the clue is in the BG levels.

• Like Like x 1
  2. slikwipman

slikwipman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Everything you describe is exactly what I did. After becoming type 1 in adulthood I didn’t give it the importance it deserved, the end result being a stay in hospital which the cost of is hard to sit with. I now realise I need to keep things simple which can be difficult because people naturally think everybody can learn to their level. Carbs + insulin = energy really is pretty much my level and need help to learn the important bits

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Bishop

Bishop · Well-Known Member

Hello
    You shouldn't worry. Ketones are a problem only if you run constantly very high constantly for a longer period of time. All the people have ketones in their bloodstream if they fast. Any healthy guy who doesn't eat for a prolonged period of time will develop ketones, they are good for us not bad, our body uses them to feed. Ketoacidosis is a different animal and when that happens that is a big problem. You can't have ketoacidosis when your BS level is 5. If you are somewhere over 12 for more than a day or two maybe then you could start to look into it.
    I was in ketoacidosis when I was diagnosed, I managed to live in that state for weeks, my body was slowly failing until I finally understood how bad I was.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. NeyDia

NeyDia · Member

Sorry to hear.. keep your body hydrated much well I hope you'll be relieved

• Like Like x 1
  5. djfm

djfm Type 1 · Member

when I start vomiting I can't stop for 3 day and end up in a+e with DKA (borderline).
    if you can't hold anything down liquids or water for 3 day ring 111.
    last time I did that it took half a day to get emitted to a+e. could be worse now

all I got was, its IBS from the GP and the consultant say manage it.
    tablet from the GP sent me back to A+E

stay strong and leave on you feet

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook