Type 1 Diabetes Friend: Alcohol Guide App Survey (for PhD Study)

andy475uk

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you have type 1 diabetes? Are you aged between 18 and 21? If so we'd love to hear from you. Or if you have friends or family that have type 1 diabetes then please feel free to forward this message on to them.

Having type 1 diabetes means that it is important to know how to keep safe when having alcohol. The Type 1 Diabetes Friend: Alcohol Guide is a free mobile app, aimed at helping young people find out what to do to keep safe and how alcohol can affect their body. As of September 22nd 2013, the app has now been downloaded 1,101 times worldwide (with 1,042 Apple and 59 Android downloads). This means that the user base is now large enough to do further research on its use and usefulness to young people with type 1 diabetes.

If you have Type 1 Diabetes and have already downloaded and are using the App - We want to hear from YOU! How useful has it been to you and can you provide some more information on how, why and when you have used it. When and why did you download it originally and do you have any suggestions for improving it.

New Users with Type 1 Diabetes - We want to hear from YOU too! Once you’ve downloaded and installed it onto your mobile phone (Apple or Android) and have used it for a month or more, then please feel free to let us know about your use of it.

Survey - The survey will take you around 15 minutes to complete. If you are able to provide more than a couple of sentences in describing your use of the app it would be much appreciated as this will make the survey data more useful to us. Thanks very much in advance for completing this survey as your feedback is very important for future development.

Access the survey: http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/bournemouth/t1dfriend1

(Please note that by completing this survey, you agree that your answers may be used in the researchers final dissertation and may also be reproduced in academic publications and presentations)

Downloading the App - The Type 1 Diabetes Friend: Alcohol Guide can be downloaded for free from the Apple App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/type-1-diabetes-friend-alcohol/id582346932?l=en&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

or the Google Play App Store for Android users:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...NvbS5hcGFwcHMudDFkZnJpZW5kYWxjb2hvbGd1aWRlIl0.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
I've been diabetic on insulin for 30 years now and experienced both the good and the bad involved with alcohol plus learnt how to avoid the pitfalls. I don't drink anymore but have suffered neuropathy, memory loss and physical injury through alcohol induced hypos in the past if I can be of any help please let me know and there is actually a post of mine on here called alcohol and diabetes containing advice and descriptions of the problems I suffered. here is a copy of that post :- ALCOHOL AND DIABETES
I've been diabetic now since I was 14 (30 years) and to be frank through a foolish childhood I learnt the lesson regarding alcohol to the extremes. firstly avoiding drink is not necessary but safeguards must be taken. 1, if you drink any alcohol accompany it with food (carbs), as alcohol pushes your sugar levels up very fast but these levels will suddenly drop at a very much accelerated rate bottoming out in minutes leading straight into hypoglycaemia and regular carbs are vital in maintaining a safe level if you really must drink. Also be aware that through one particular alcohol induced hypo i almost bit my tongue off and walked 4 miles soaked in blood unaware i was injured or even who i was or where i was going due to transient global amnesia caused through the hypo. i have never recovered and my diabetic control was never regained leaving me now suffering with neuropathy and permanent memory problems, other than that I wish you all a very happy and hypo free new year and above all else please drink safe x

Last edited by a moderator: