Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy

XxBeaudynexX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys! I’m pretty new here and was just wanting some information. I’m not currently pregnant and won’t be until I get my HbA1c down to 6% or below (My last blood test said I was 7.2% 3 months ago but my dexcom is estimating it to now be 6.4%....)

Anyway just was curious about a couple of things.
How often do you see nurses and doctors through the whole process?
My nurse told me you get major hypos at he beginning like even in the first week of a missed period.
In normal pregnancies they say to avoid things like soft cheese.....is there anything I’d need to avoid because of my diabetes?

I’m really trying to be super planned with this whole thing. Even thought I’m probably about 12 months at least away from actually getting pregnant.

Also on a side note, I have actually already stopped taking the pill just because it’s been causing me to have migraines and the docs were concerned. I’ve noticed so far I need less insulin since coming off it. Not sure what type of contraception I should use now apart from condoms.

Any info that would be helpful to do with anything during pregnancy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I think you are doing a great job getting your body ready for pregnancy and getting rid of hormones that cause insulin resistance (ironically mimmicking the later stages of pregnancy!).
I assure you are in the UK and being treated at a clinic by a diabetes/gynae clinic? (or will be when the time comes).
I have had 3 kids whilst being type 1 and the frequency of visits and monitoring will increase towards the end of your pregnancy and according to what if any difficulties arise. For example I was seeing someone monthly but then my visits were weekly and at 34 weeks I got clamped to a hospital bed with pre eclampsia. For the subsequent pregnancies I then took each day./week as it came because things can and do turn out differently for each one!

For example its not automatic that you will get bad hypos at first though if you do feel sick (again not everyone does) and are being super careful with blood sugar control in the critical first 12 weeks, then you may find you tend towards more. Equally you may need more insulin at the final stages because of the insulin resisting hormones but I've seen plenty of posts from wonen who don't! At least with Dexcom you will be able to react quickly.
Food
You should be taking prescribed folic acid prior to pregnancy (not the otc stuff) and I would eat whatever I normally eat to keep my blood sugars in range ensuring plenty of good fats, leafy greens, dairy and protein to build a healthy baby. Its been 11 years since my last pregnancy but I never worried about sushi, soft cheese and I didn't feel like alcohol so I am not sure about the current advice but I always think its amazing how all those French women eat plenty of soft cheese (gut friendly bacteria!) , drink wine and still produce healthy babies...
I am sure someone who has done this more recently will be along soon but my best advice would be to try and enjoy the pregnancy in spite of all the medical attention you'll get and the anxiety you may then feel. It is an amazing time!

Reactions: XxBeaudynexX

XxBeaudynexX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I think you are doing a great job getting your body ready for pregnancy and getting rid of hormones that cause insulin resistance (ironically mimmicking the later stages of pregnancy!).
I assure you are in the UK and being treated at a clinic by a diabetes/gynae clinic? (or will be when the time comes).
I have had 3 kids whilst being type 1 and the frequency of visits and monitoring will increase towards the end of your pregnancy and according to what if any difficulties arise. For example I was seeing someone monthly but then my visits were weekly and at 34 weeks I got clamped to a hospital bed with pre eclampsia. For the subsequent pregnancies I then took each day./week as it came because things can and do turn out differently for each one!

For example its not automatic that you will get bad hypos at first though if you do feel sick (again not everyone does) and are being super careful with blood sugar control in the critical first 12 weeks, then you may find you tend towards more. Equally you may need more insulin at the final stages because of the insulin resisting hormones but I've seen plenty of posts from wonen who don't! At least with Dexcom you will be able to react quickly.
Food
You should be taking prescribed folic acid prior to pregnancy (not the otc stuff) and I would eat whatever I normally eat to keep my blood sugars in range ensuring plenty of good fats, leafy greens, dairy and protein to build a healthy baby. Its been 11 years since my last pregnancy but I never worried about sushi, soft cheese and I didn't feel like alcohol so I am not sure about the current advice but I always think its amazing how all those French women eat plenty of soft cheese (gut friendly bacteria!) , drink wine and still produce healthy babies...
I am sure someone who has done this more recently will be along soon but my best advice would be to try and enjoy the pregnancy in spite of all the medical attention you'll get and the anxiety you may then feel. It is an amazing time!

Thank you so much for this! Incredible advice! Yes I’m in the UK and have a great nurse who looks after me. Been having some problems seeing my diabetic consultant but I’m sure it’ll get sorted.

Not sure if you have an insulin pump but I do. Can you still wear it during pregnancy? Also the same goes for the dexcom, I imagine it would be painful/difficult to insert it to a large pregnancy belly

Think my husband it more anxious about it all tbh, bless him.

Realise I could ask my nurse all of these questions but I feel it’s best to get it from first hand experience. Thank you again x

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Good luck for your pregnancy, hope all goes well for you.
Take care