Type 1 diabetes temporary reversal

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening all

I have recently been on a three week tour round europe. My diet was exactly the same as when i am at home however i would say i was walking 8/9 miles a day.

Whilst away i only needed 2 units of novorapid per meal compared to 8 in the uk.

I could also eat a 100g bar of chocolate and inject only 1 unit for normal levels i.e no higher than 6 post eating.

Now i am back in the uk and i need 8 units per meal again.

To say i was shocked my the temporary reversal was an understatement.

I am starting to wonder whether i can improve my health by increasing my activity levels here.

Vonnelene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all

I have recently been on a three week tour round europe. My diet was exactly the same as when i am at home however i would say i was walking 8/9 miles a day.

Whilst away i only needed 2 units of novorapid per meal compared to 8 in the uk.

I could also eat a 100g bar of chocolate and inject only 1 unit for normal levels i.e no higher than 6 post eating.

Now i am back in the uk and i need 8 units per meal again.

To say i was shocked my the temporary reversal was an understatement.

I am starting to wonder whether i can improve my health by increasing my activity levels here.

Hi @jamesfitz

Very interesting......
Read the article about me on Diabetes.co.uk
"Johan Kotze stopped injecting insulin for his type 1 diabetes a month ago, but how is this possible?"
Good luck!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. No question that repeated/SUSTAINED high activity levels can increase insulin sensitivity with a "carryover" effect that can spill over to less active days. But cutting back to 2 units from 8 is pretty extreme. I assume you take a basal as well. Did you cut that back too? If not I think it's possible that the increased sensitivity to the basal ate up some of your food calories too not just the Novorapid.

Reactions: Vonnelene