Type 1 Type 1 diabetic | 18 | festival advice!!

brookearnott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

I'm brooke, 18 years old, diabetic type 1 (have been for about 5 years now)

I am going to creamfields (house music festival) at the end of August! And was just wondering if any of you (type 1 diabetics) have been to festivals, and if you could give me any advice on festivals and diabetes?

Brooke

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Festivals are just another part of life. I've never found a need to do a huge amount different. Just make sure you monitor your blood glucose and continue to take your insulin (and make sure you have glucose readily available as you tend to use more energy at festivals). EDM festivals are a bit different to "regular" ones because I've found that you do end up spending the whole night up being physically active, but as long as you monitor and manage, you should be fine.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Biggest bit of advice. Take more glucose tablets than you think you will need.
I have found that at festivals, even though I intend to allow myself to run a little higher, I seem to have more hypos.
Probably down to all the jumping round like an idiot, wandering around a lot and the alcohol.

Then there is the usual spare pens extra needles and if are staying over an extra meter. Meters and lots of rain don't mix well.

/A