Type 1 Diabetic - how to lose weight???

mayesnfarmer

I am a type 1 diabetic, I was diagnosed when I was 19, im 27 in a few days. My problem is as soon as I was admitted to hospital I put 1 stone in weight on in the week I was there and another 5 stone since. I used to go to they gym for 2 hours a day but I went down to 1 hour and then just swimming, dog walking and exercise at home as I kept having too many hypos and the doctor said if I just keep to a healthy diet I would be ok. I am taking Novorapid with each meal and Levemir at night. I kept going back to my doctors for help and advice but they just said it will settle. I have managed to lose 2 stone of this weight but have 4 to go. Nothing seems to be working and I just wondered if anyone else is having trouble as most people on here seem to find it hard to GAIN weight as a type 1? I have signed up for a carb counting course at the hospital so fingers crossed this might help a bit as I may be able to reduce my insulin, I eat 3 healthy meals per day with the odd bacon sarnie or pizza maybe once a month!? :(

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have managed to loose 2 stone then you are on the right track I would think? Also think about reducing portion sizes, you can have a healthy diet but still eat too much. Remember to reduce the insulin too though!
Ask the Dr about metformin too. That's prescribed to people with type 1 diabetes in insulin if they are overweight sometimes (or so I was told when I queried the fact I was taking it). That can help weight loss, I read about a study where it was more effective than those weight loss drugs! Taking of weight loss drugs, you could ask about those too, I don't know if they are safe with type 1 diabetes. They stop you digesting the fat, the downside is it all comes out the other end!! Not pleasant!!

mayesnfarmer

Thanks, I shall ask about the Metformin and weight loss pills. I have lost 2 stone but cant shift anymore! I havent lost anything for about 8 months now, its very depressing, my partner is skinny and he doesnt do much exercise - we eat the same, he cooks it but I guess we are just built differently, will see what the doc says about the Metformin tho, thanks! :D

mayesnfarmer

Hi, ive not heard of that course before. I just do a set amount of insulin each meal time and every night. I am going on a carb counting course at the hospital, not sure if its the same as the DAFNE one? Sounds like it will be a good idea for me, thanks for your advice. :D

Sandi Ann

Hi
I dont have the answer - but just wanted to say I had the same problem, although even the Diabetic Clinic would not accept my situation. I was aged 49, always been tiny 7 stone, but suddenly I put on a stone without any reason. After a year I was diagnosed as borderline Type1/Type 2 and put on insulin and gained another 2 stone in about 2 weeks, and have gained another stone since. My clinic refuse to take me seriously about weight.
I hope someone has an answer!

gem_daizy

Have you thought about going on an insulin pump? I started on mine about three months ago and my weight has been slowly decreasing ever since.

Jelly71

Hi,

I too am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 25 years. I have also struggled with my weight over the years. I was exercising daily, eating only 1200 calories of low GI food and I would lose a maximum of half a stone and that would be it. The doctor mentioned metformin a few times but it was only last November I started taking it. I have now lost a stone. I am continuing with the exercising and calorie control and it finally seems to be working. My insulin dosage has reduced a fair amount; I find also trying to reduce my carbohydrate intake also helps. I understand that metformin does not suit everyone but it's worth giving it a try!

kellpam

CarbsRok said:
If you haven't been on one ask to go on a DAFNE course.
Hi
I'm T1 diabetic of 33 years and about 4 years ago I attended a DAFNE course and I have to say it completely changed my way of thinking and controlling my condition - for the better.
DAFNE stand for 'Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating'. It was a 5 day course which I attended with about half a dozen other T1's. Prior to the course I had been on 2 Novorapid injections a day (plus Lantus in the evening) with a 'set' amount of insulin. Now a couple of days before the course started I had to see my DN just to discuss what would happen on the first day. One of the questions I was asked was 'What do you have for breakfast?" To which I replied '2 slices of wholemeal toast'. Normally I would have around 7(ish) units of insulin for this so you can Imagine my amazement when she said to me 'You only need 3 units of insulin' :shock: - oh and also lunch was provided for us :lol:
So on the first day off I go filled with excitement and trepidation. Basically what we did was re-learn about our condition. We were taught to inject JUST for the carbohydrate intake with each meal and also to inject AFTER we had eaten and not before (which when you think does make complete sense as insulin is absorbed far more quickly than food!) We also learnt how many carbohydrates are in different foods (lots of label reading!)

I think that the biggest thing that I took from the course was that I was 'free' pretty much to eat what I wanted (I don't mean gorge myself with fish n chips and things like that though). The only thing with me is that I am, as my DN said 'A True Diabetic' which means that even if I don't have any carbs I still need to have some insulin. For example, I can get up of a morning and my bs will be perfectly fine but a couple of hours later - even with nothing to eat or drink - it will have raised by a couple of units :shock:

I have to say I am a complete advocate for the DAFNE course, although it may mean me having sometimes more than 5 injections a day but it's no great difficulty to just discreetly stick a tiny needle into my tummy - and there's plenty of flab for it go to in there :lol:

Have a look at this link and maybe ask your hospital/doctor for more info.
http://www.dafne.uk.com/

Sorry if this is really long winded - hope it helps a bit
xx

mayesnfarmer

This looks really positive. My doctor is testing my thyroid too as she said a lot of diabetics that put weight on easily have thyroid problems - eek! I hope not, another thing to add to the list :? I will try and get on one of those courses as I am forever pumping the same amount of insulin into my body every day even if I eat more or less!

clairestork

hi im diabetic and have had it since i was 9 yrs old, im 29 now lol, i was diagnosed with under active thyorid at the age of 4, which means u put on weight and not till i was diagnosed with diabetes the doc said the 2 can go together, also i have heard that insulin can make u put on weight so if u are on high doses that could b it, good luck :)

Jelly71

Good luck with the DAFNE course. Where I'm from, in Shropshire the DAFNE course is unavailable (unless any one knows any different) and I would love to attend one. I also have an underactive thyroid which unfortunately often goes hand in hand with type 1 diabetes. I seemed to have struggled more with my weight since the diagnosis but I'm not sure if this is just coincidence. My doctor says I am on the correct dosage of thyroxin.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Keep portion sizes down but eat often.This helps to increase your metabolic rate.

As far as fat burners are concerned, if you can buy them of a shelf in a shop there no good. Have alook at some t5's but do some research first :)

tabatha63

Hi there,im fairly new to it all, just over a year now as a late onset type 1.I was diagnosed at a huge weight 19 stone and i am now 13st and a bit. the first 2 stone was lost due to DKA,undiagnosed but then i started on mixed insulin ( novomix 30)and healthy eating and at first i lost another stone but then stopped losing and some weeks id put on pounds?? then i saw a dietician at my clinic who advised the gi eating plan and gave me some rules about eating smaller portion size.

my portion was too high...eg. as a non diabetic i would have two slices of bread at lunch with filling, as a diabetic i would have 1 wholemeal but as a diabetic who has to lose weight for health reasons i should halve that again and use seeded bread!!. my portion sizes have decreased over half the size i used to eat and i am losing weight, avoid stuff that gives me high readings ...im my case potatoes, bananas, etc...never eat a carb on its own... coupled with exercise, walking everyday, gym, i check my b/s probably more than most and was also told to try and eat only when 4 and not let it ever go over 9 and its worked, I"m losing the weight, my insulin is working better and my b/s are what they should be.

Unlike the first 4 months which made me feel despairing and lost.small carb small protein meal has worked for me and as a 19 stone size 26 i was addicted to food but now i have healthy small meals and feel great.everyones different but where theres a will theres gotta be a way!you just have to find the way that suits you and look everywhere for the advice...this site is the best place to look...the people on here know their stuff!!

jinty1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people telling lies i hate spiders.
hi i am also t1
and cant shift the wieght i am on novamix 30.if i take 29 units i blow up and take a lot of hypos.but if i take 28 then no hypos but constanly tired and dont blow up so much any ideas.thanx janette in edinburgh

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
If you are using a set no of units every meal then this will by why you are hypoing so much. Carb counting classes will definately be a good idea as hypo's aren't good.
How much do you take each meal?

I noticed a big difference when i started matching my insulin to my carbs there were no hypos at all.

As you reduce the amount of insulin you will notice you will drop the weight.

Lesli x