Type 1 diabetics in the police force

Emmagar99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
I’m looking for type 1 diabetics that are police Officers to provide me with more information and what the recuritment is like for type 1 diabetics and what life as a police Officer is like with type 1 diabetes.

I’m 19 years old and I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago. Ever since I could talk I’ve dreamt of being a police Officer but unfortunately when I was diagnosed I was told by a friends parent that there was a ban on diabetics in the police force and I wouldn’t be allowed to join.

Fortunately as I came to 16/17 and beginning to decided what I was going to do after I left school I found that the blanket ban had been lifted and type 1 diabetics would be allowed to join the police!

Since I’ve left school I’ve been working in a profession to help me gain experience for the police and I now feel that I’m ready to send away my application and get the process started!

I’ve looked on the internet and I don’t feel there is much at all about diabetics in the police and especially in police Scotland, which is the force I’m looking to join.

I’m hoping that someone on here can help me and shead some light on what it’s like to be/become a type 1 diabetic police Officer so that I can start the journey to my dream job!

Thanks in advance,
Emma

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Tagging @KK123 in case she has info on this.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
I’m looking for type 1 diabetics that are police Officers to provide me with more information and what the recuritment is like for type 1 diabetics and what life as a police Officer is like with type 1 diabetes.

I’m 19 years old and I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago. Ever since I could talk I’ve dreamt of being a police Officer but unfortunately when I was diagnosed I was told by a friends parent that there was a ban on diabetics in the police force and I wouldn’t be allowed to join.

Fortunately as I came to 16/17 and beginning to decided what I was going to do after I left school I found that the blanket ban had been lifted and type 1 diabetics would be allowed to join the police!

Since I’ve left school I’ve been working in a profession to help me gain experience for the police and I now feel that I’m ready to send away my application and get the process started!

I’ve looked on the internet and I don’t feel there is much at all about diabetics in the police and especially in police Scotland, which is the force I’m looking to join.

I’m hoping that someone on here can help me and shead some light on what it’s like to be/become a type 1 diabetic police Officer so that I can start the journey to my dream job!

Thanks in advance,
Emma

Hi there Emma (and thanks to Diakat). The answer is yes! The recruitment process is exactly the same as for a non diabetic (ie a fitness test and the necessary qualifications). You will have to provide 'evidence' that your diabetes is controlled, ie A1c tests and they may wish to contact your Doctor or Consultant. The Police do have their own Dr and they too, will ask about how you control your diabetes. Once accepted, there will be adjustments, ie they may require you to test every 2 hours for example or to ensure that if you go into a safety critical area (such as on a railway track), you have another person with you. Each Police Force will be slightly different and Scotland may also have different rules (as are their Laws). Police Scotland will have a recruitment department and I would suggest you contact them via e mail or phone, I am sure they will send you the details you need. It is a very difficult job to get into and I know Forces have thousands of applications a year, do not be put off though, I joined at the grand old age of 19 and have never regretted a minute. Practically, I test and inject regularly at work but you would be much better off on a CGM (I wish I had one as it would make life at work so much easier in that you would know at a glance when you are rushing to something whether you were low or high instead of carrying out a fiddly finger prick followed by a mouthful of glucose if it's low!!!). Good luck!

Reactions: Diakat