Type 1 Type 1 Diabetic, now Addisons - advice please!

Nic007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,

I've been visiting this site for ages but this is my first ever post. I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me, apologies if I have overlooked a previous post which covers my issues - if I have, please can someone send me a link to it?

Well, I'm Nic, 41 year old female and I've been Type 1 Diabetic since the age of 3. My Diabetes is reasonably well controlled and I'm fortunate not to have had any real complications. In my late 20's I was diagnosed with an underactive Thyroid and I've managed ok with that too. My husband has always been really supportive of my health issues and has been especially fabulous regarding my latest problem.

These past few months, I've been feeling a bit rough, nothing specific really, just tiredness and niggly things like very dry skin, lots of muscle cramps in my legs and feet (especially at night) etc. I just blamed it on the usual things like heavy workload, family illnesses, general life stuff, I suppose. Last week I started feeling terribly tired, then I felt sick every time I stood up and it just got worse from there. I saw the GP who was very concerned and they sent me for various blood tests. I managed to get the blood tests done but didn't last long enough to find out the results, as I just kept getting worse and I ended up in hospital this Friday and most of the May Bank Holiday weekend. I was quickly diagnosed with Addisons Disease and I've been pumped full of steroids and fluids and I am now on an even keel again.

All of the people who helped look after me - the GP, ambulance crew, all the hospital staff (including those who are normally overlooked, like the cleaners and the people who bring round the cups of tea) were completely amazing, so kind and professional.

I've now been discharged from hospital but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this. I've been looking on the Addisons website and trying to understand it all but I'm not really taking it all in, I'm probably too tired and need to rest a bit more. I was also told to register with my local Ambulance Service, so that they know I am steroid dependent but I didn't manage to do that either. I live in Suffolk, if that helps.

If anyone can let me have some top tips for being newly diagnosed with Addisons Disease whilst already having T1D and underactive thyroid, I'd be really grateful. Sorry for rambling. :)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi @Nic007. I doubt i can be very much help to you with regard to managing all thee conditions. I have Hashimotos, Addisons and in very early stages of LADA. All i know is if cortisol is low then blood sugars run low. I assume you are under an endo who will help you with all this. I can hopefully help you with any questions re. Addisons. In the meantine I will tag @Books1 and @CarbsRok as, like ys, they have been 'blessed' with the trifecta too :)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
There us also a UK facebook group for Addisons but i dont think there are many diabetics on it. But it might be worth you joining as there's always someone to ask if you have a problem. Just talking toe condition someone who knows if the condition is a bonus!

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I've been visiting this site for ages but this is my first ever post. I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me, apologies if I have overlooked a previous post which covers my issues - if I have, please can someone send me a link to it?

Well, I'm Nic, 41 year old female and I've been Type 1 Diabetic since the age of 3. My Diabetes is reasonably well controlled and I'm fortunate not to have had any real complications. In my late 20's I was diagnosed with an underactive Thyroid and I've managed ok with that too. My husband has always been really supportive of my health issues and has been especially fabulous regarding my latest problem.

These past few months, I've been feeling a bit rough, nothing specific really, just tiredness and niggly things like very dry skin, lots of muscle cramps in my legs and feet (especially at night) etc. I just blamed it on the usual things like heavy workload, family illnesses, general life stuff, I suppose. Last week I started feeling terribly tired, then I felt sick every time I stood up and it just got worse from there. I saw the GP who was very concerned and they sent me for various blood tests. I managed to get the blood tests done but didn't last long enough to find out the results, as I just kept getting worse and I ended up in hospital this Friday and most of the May Bank Holiday weekend. I was quickly diagnosed with Addisons Disease and I've been pumped full of steroids and fluids and I am now on an even keel again.

All of the people who helped look after me - the GP, ambulance crew, all the hospital staff (including those who are normally overlooked, like the cleaners and the people who bring round the cups of tea) were completely amazing, so kind and professional.

I've now been discharged from hospital but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this. I've been looking on the Addisons website and trying to understand it all but I'm not really taking it all in, I'm probably too tired and need to rest a bit more. I was also told to register with my local Ambulance Service, so that they know I am steroid dependent but I didn't manage to do that either. I live in Suffolk, if that helps.

If anyone can let me have some top tips for being newly diagnosed with Addisons Disease whilst already having T1D and underactive thyroid, I'd be really grateful. Sorry for rambling. :)
Hi Nic, ive got type 1 diabetes ulcerative colitis hypercalcemea graves disease now hypothyroidism after a full thyroidectmy and adrenal insufficency .i take 20 mg of hydocortisone for the adrenal insufficency and adjust my own insulin .lately though i am having lots of hypos esp morning hypos and even though i have adjusted my insulin lots im still having them so wonder if my adrenal insufficency has progressed to addisons .when i have hypos it seems to leave me feeling exhauseted and dizzy for most of the day or night and just not right .do you experiance the same with hypos?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Nic, ive got type 1 diabetes ulcerative colitis hypercalcemea graves disease now hypothyroidism after a full thyroidectmy and adrenal insufficency .i take 20 mg of hydocortisone for the adrenal insufficency and adjust my own insulin .lately though i am having lots of hypos esp morning hypos and even though i have adjusted my insulin lots im still having them so wonder if my adrenal insufficency has progressed to addisons .when i have hypos it seems to leave me feeling exhauseted and dizzy for most of the day or night and just not right .do you experiance the same with hypos?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
As cortisol regulates blood sugars the morning hypo's might be caused by the cortisol being low on waking. In normal people cortisol is highest first thing so its the worst time of day for the adrenal insufficient.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
It can take a wee while to get your dosing right for Addisons and there is definitely evidence that it can affect your diabetes high & low. So firstly be kind to yourself and remember you've prob had issues for a while so take things slowly. Important things to remember are double dosing if you're ill or under a lot of stress and you should get an emergency kit in case of crisis (you may not ever have to use it but it is a lifesaver if you do) You should be able to get this from your gp.
Take care and do just ask if you've got queries.

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
It can take a wee while to get your dosing right for Addisons and there is definitely evidence that it can affect your diabetes high & low. So firstly be kind to yourself and remember you've prob had issues for a while so take things slowly. Important things to remember are double dosing if you're ill or under a lot of stress and you should get an emergency kit in case of crisis (you may not ever have to use it but it is a lifesaver if you do) You should be able to get this from your gp.
Take care and do just ask if you've got queries.
Thankyou for your advice i am seeing my endo in 3 weeks so will ask for further advice it really is making me feel blurgh

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As cortisol regulates blood sugars the morning hypo's might be caused by the cortisol being low on waking. In normal people cortisol is highest first thing so its the worst time of day for the adrenal insufficient.
Thankyou lesley atm i am finding mornings particuarily bad and considering i already take meds for adrenal insufficency i am surprised.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Thankyou lesley atm i am finding mornings particuarily bad and considering i already take meds for adrenal insufficency i am surprised.
Assuming you are taking hydrocortisone, it doesn't stay in your system for very long. Just these last few mornings ive been feeling rough on waking, a bit like i did before diagnosis so i suspect i need my meds adjusted/increased. Also important to remember Addisons is progressive and meds will gradually need increasing so possibly your dose needs increasing.

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Assuming you are taking hydrocortisone, it doesn't stay in your system for very long. Just these last few mornings ive been feeling rough on waking, a bit like i did before diagnosis so i suspect i need my meds adjusted/increased. Also important to remember Addisons is progressive and meds will gradually need increasing so possibly your dose needs increasing.
Thankyou i havent been diagnosed with addisons but am diagnosed with adrenal insufficency but i feel like its progressed and got worse and i dont wanna take more steroids but i have no energy and so many hypos.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Thankyou i havent been diagnosed with addisons but am diagnosed with adrenal insufficency but i feel like its progressed and got worse and i dont wanna take more steroids but i have no energy and so many hypos.
If you dontnhave Addisons what is causing your adrenal insufficency ? Have you been tested for adrenal antibodies? I would have thought you had Addisons given you have diabetes and thyroid problems. In fact i thought adrenal insufficiency was Addisons!

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you dontnhave Addisons what is causing your adrenal insufficency ? Have you been tested for adrenal antibodies? I would have thought you had Addisons given you have diabetes and thyroid problems. In fact i thought adrenal insufficiency was Addisons!
I thought adrenal insufficency was addisons too but app not its got something to do with acth production i think but i will ask my endo what differentiates between addisons and adrenal insufficeny .i know there is type 1 and type 2 adrenal insufficency i will find out more about them and which one i have .

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought adrenal insufficency was addisons too but app not its got something to do with acth production i think but i will ask my endo what differentiates between addisons and adrenal insufficeny .i know there is type 1 and type 2 adrenal insufficency i will find out more about them and which one i have .
Also i suspect my adrenal unsufficency was caused by my hyperthyroudism which was very severe also i had thyroid cancer too and ulcerative colitis