Type 1 & exercising

Bishop

Hello Guys
I am a type 1 for 10 years now and was looking for any other people with type 1 which are doing any serious exercising. Anything from running marathons, competing in powerlifting or judo, grappling. Any sports really but which was taken a little to the next level. I would like to talk to anybody who thinks could bring some valuable information with regards to managing their diabetes doing these sports. I am doing BJJ and was thinking to find out more and learn from other people.
If you are interested please reply to this thread so we can get in touch.
Thank you

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Guys
I am a type 1 for 10 years now and was looking for any other people with type 1 which are doing any serious exercising. Anything from running marathons, competing in powerlifting or judo, grappling. Any sports really but which was taken a little to the next level. I would like to talk to anybody who thinks could bring some valuable information with regards to managing their diabetes doing these sports. I am doing BJJ and was thinking to find out more and learn from other people.
If you are interested please reply to this thread so we can get in touch.
Thank you

I trained 6 days a week, weight training and cardio. Until the gyms closed. Still do what I can at home. Happy to help with what I can.
Join Phil Graham's diabeticmuscleandfitness group on facebook. Basically exactly what you are looking for.

Reactions: ianstead

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I trained 6 days a week, weight training and cardio. Until the gyms closed. Still do what I can at home. Happy to help with what I can.
Join Phil Graham's diabeticmuscleandfitness group on facebook. Basically exactly what you are looking for.

Scoscar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon,

I am a 46 year old type one. I was diagnosed 21 years ago. I have just got back from a 15k run.
I have exercised all through my time as a diabetic but found it a lot easier in the past year or so since I have had my libre freestyle cgm.
I also have a miaomiao transmitter and a android Wear watch so I have my blood sugar reading constantly on my watch.
I tend to run in the morning having only had my lantus insulin.
I take fruit pastilles with me and if my blood sugar starts to drop I have a couple of them.
I have ran several half marathons over the years with no ill effects on my blood sugars.
the reason I am posting this reply is I want other diabetics to know that it is possible to exercise.

Scott.

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Bishop,
I have spent my whole life enjoying sport including marathon running, football even body building and at 74 with lifelong Type 1, I currently teach Pilates.
I have had some scary moments where I have had a hypo during matches and whilst running and cycling.
However, if you are competing at a good level you will no doubt be involved in regular training programs and this is where I used to gain experience to get the insulin/carb balance correct. For me I found a long bike ride or run I would reduce my background insulin by one mark and quick acting by at least half dose. I used jelly babies as my carbohydrate input if needed as a quick boost and to stay safe.
When I am teaching pilates for two hour sessions I eat seeded brown bread before my classes for slow input carbs.
I do believe that you will gain experience and confidence over time and get to know what works best for yourself.
Keep up your sport and good luck.
It has worked for me over my 74 years with Type 1.
Ray B

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never used type 1 as an excuse not to exercise and now do it as my job (furloughed personal trainer and Pilates teacher).
I use a pump and fsl. Exercise doe not make my diabetes better and it can make it more complicated because it is another variable that varies!
I have done 2 marathons and a few lesser distances but I am now much more into Pilates and weights (currently mainly bodyweight at home for 60-90 minutes daily.
I am a 49 year old female and no diabetes related issues when training other than a nuisance frozen shoulder which I am told is diabetes related!