Type 1 for 41 years. Feels like I am losing my way.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Hiya,

I was diagnosed as Type 1 at the age of 6, I am now 47 years old and have been relatively lucky that I have been well controlled and have minimal complications.

I work from home now for our small business and I find I "forget" to inject and test when I wake despite having two reminders on my phone. My blood sugars are constantly high and its starting to feel like I am losing the battle :(

I have been waking with burning feet and its scared the living hell out of me. I have spoken to my DSN and they want me to test regularly and detail food intake, exercise, mood etc to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Do any of you relate to this feeling? Just a feeling of apathy that seems to have sneaked up on me! I just cant seem to shake myself and get motivated to wise up! My poor brain is a fog and I'm getting very confused. But that could be my age :) How to you motivate yourself after so many years of being a pin cushion? I'd love to know how others deal with this. Thanks in advance :)

It c/b an idea to see your GP in case you are developing another auto immune condition or that you are experiencing forgetfulness due to stress. I have had type 1 for 56 years now and got a little "lax"with control when I developed an under active thyroid after the birth of my 2nd child. Everything fine now. Worth checking out. Could also be that you need extra support of some sort---running a business from home is not easy & I expect that the business is your daily priority. Take care. xx

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love one but unfortunately cannot afford it!
I most certainly sympathise with you. With 24/7 testing and injecting on top of stresses of running a business would be hard for anyone. On a positive note it has come out recently that Libre is soon going to be available on NHS. Let's hope it's sooner than later. I have been Type 1 since 1975 and been fairly well controlled and with the fantastic support from my dear wife have managed to deal with the ups and downs of living with this 'nuisance'. As others have said try to have a break now and sgain. I am sure you will come out of this with your partner's support. Wishing you all the best.

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
What about a novopen 5? It automatically tells you when injected. I got 1 for my levemur cos I can never remember if I took it or not. (T1 for 27 years and useless but no complications)

I am on Lantus and have a insulcheck which I purchased myself so it registers how long since last dose. I am on Humalog and use a Savio HumaPen not been able to find a sensor that works with that. We don't get disposable pens up here. I have had a look at the novopen 5 but not sure if that would be compatible with my insulin cartridges? Just looking a the cost and the features and I know fine well I would not get one, struggling to get a back up pen for my Lantus through my GP as my last one broke and now I am using my backup one. Clinic at end of month I will get one from them.

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
It c/b an idea to see your GP in case you are developing another auto immune condition or that you are experiencing forgetfulness due to stress. I have had type 1 for 56 years now and got a little "lax"with control when I developed an under active thyroid after the birth of my 2nd child. Everything fine now. Worth checking out. Could also be that you need extra support of some sort---running a business from home is not easy & I expect that the business is your daily priority. Take care. xx

Been checked and been back and forth to GP so many times over the last two years, bloods always come back in range :(