Type 1 Friends

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I live in Hampshire, London is 45 miles east and the coast Southampton, 30 miles, then Portsmouth , Southsea and Bournemouth. a little further. I have just thought of Brighton and I would change at Clapham Junction :-D
Best wishes RRB

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Hampshire, London is 45 miles east and the coast Southampton, 30 miles, then Portsmouth , Southsea and Bournemouth. a little further. I have just thought of Brighton and I would change at Clapham Junction :-D
Best wishes RRB
Brighton's good for me :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it helps to talk but I could talk for England lol. What I really like is actually also having a laugh about it sometimes.
That's lovely Emma. You keep on talking for England. And yes, having a laugh would be lovely. Me de only diabetics I know are on here. My family try hard but really, really bored.

Reactions: 2 people

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
@@AndyOD and @@daniT1D are you both close to the south coast line? I am happy to meet somewhere along there. Message me if you are interested.

Brighton would b ok for me too need to check the diary though

Last edited by a moderator:

Wullie

T1 30 years almost. I think it's part of the British character - mustn't grumble etc.

I have to refrain from rolling my eyes sometimes when a newly-diagnosed T2 comes up to me and bemoans their life. I had a T1 ex-GF once, there was always a sort of unspoken understanding. Like I say, very British.

I'm on a football forum (365), there's an official DB thread on there, it has helped sharing the load with people similar to myself.

I'm South London so can do the South, I suppose.

boora

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
non
nice weather good for diabetics good food easy life nice beaches costless life

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if we tried brighton, would a weekday or weekend be better? I would guess weekend in the afternoon (less noisy if in a pub and less of a rush to get there and away). sitting on the beach may be bad for the next month if forecasters are right. arundel portsmouth and southampton would also work for me.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering if people know many other people with Type 1?

I have a friend who was diagnosed 6 months before me and he has been really helpful and I’ve found it has really helped. We went out Saturday night and it was great to chat about it and compare glucose results and that. Although… everyone else did find us a bit boring after a while! I guess that’s why it’s nice to know someone, because there’s only so much a non-diabetic can be interested, but as such a big part of our lives it’s nice to chat. Maybe it’s because we are newly diagnosed though so we probably still think about it a lot.

If you don’t have this, do you go to support groups? The only one I know of in my area is for T2s.

I have two family members, an Aunt and my Grandmother, both also with T1 but I have never spoken to them about it.

I also had a colleague with T1 who sat right next to me but left just a few months before I was diagnosed. I never really appreciated the struggles she might have been going through at work daily.

Reactions: 4 people

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I was diagnosed aged 3 and have been Type 1 for 43 years now. Used to use a glass syringe and CLINITEST for urine testing as there was no such thing as blood sugar testing!!! There was no internet, mobile phones and we didn't even have a home phone until I was about 14! My brother got Type 1 at 16 but died aged 46 from a blood clot after surgery. My dad had Type 2 at 59 but went on to insulin. He died at 69 from heart failure. I have had ulcers, a toe amputated, hypos galore, hypers, loss of feeling in my feet, laser treatment to my right eye and most other things!!!! But am still here and have 4 gorgeous sons who I am very proud of. I have no friends with Type 1 but have a dear friend with T2 but she lives in Bognor Regis and I live in Northern Ireland now (I'm from West Sussex) and don't know anyone here with it. I did DAFNE in 2010 in Lisburn where I live. If anyone on here lives in Lisburn and fancies a chat let me know ok!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

simonhand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there to all of you with Type Diabetes. I've not really been on here much.
I 've quickly glanced through some of your comments and I agree it is good to chat with other diabetics and find out what their experiences are with diabetes
I've been a diabetic for nearly 23 years now. My dad had been a diabetic from the age of 5 and I got the condition at 21 totally devastated as I had grown up with it, with my dad and I knew what the problems were.
it took some time at the beginning to accept it, but then I just got on with things.
Its only this year that I have hit rock bottom, with my wife leaving me and part of the reason is my diabetes.
I have contacted my local diabetes centre in Bolton and they have a counsellor there once a week which I am going to see.
The only things that keep me going are my 2 daughters.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Hi there to all of you with Type Diabetes. I've not really been on here much.
I 've quickly glanced through some of your comments and I agree it is good to chat with other diabetics and find out what their experiences are with diabetes
I've been a diabetic for nearly 23 years now. My dad had been a diabetic from the age of 5 and I got the condition at 21 totally devastated as I had grown up with it, with my dad and I knew what the problems were.
it took some time at the beginning to accept it, but then I just got on with things.
Its only this year that I have hit rock bottom, with my wife leaving me and part of the reason is my diabetes.
I have contacted my local diabetes centre in Bolton and they have a counsellor there once a week which I am going to see.
The only things that keep me going are my 2 daughters.
Hi simon,
My Dad had Diabetes too. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. My brother recently developed Diabetes and it's tough for him but I think like u the kids keep him busy.
It just a case of having to keep going for them I guess which is good. Honestly though I think one can get ones life back, it just takes time and patience unfortunatley.
Good luck and keep posting.

simonhand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi simon,
My Dad had Diabetes too. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. My brother recently developed Diabetes and it's tough for him but I think like u the kids keep him busy.
It just a case of having to keep going for them I guess which is good. Honestly though I think one can get ones life back, it just takes time and patience unfortunatley.
Good luck and keep posting.

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. Yes my daughters are the only thing keeping me going to be honest and I dread to think what I would have done if they weren't with me.. I worked on trying to build something for my family and I have nearly achieved it, but this year my life seems to have fallen apart.
As all diabetics will know, it is on your mind every second of the day. You might have the odd few minutes where you forget your diabetic, but they are few and far between. I've had a hypo when just my youngest daughter was with me due to a chest infection and a wrong reading from the new gluco meter which had cartridges rather than test strips. BE VERY CAREFUL. I contact accu-check and if your finger touches the optical eye, you get a high reading which is incorrect. Since that happened both my daughters are always worried about me, which is nice but really upsets me. Apart from being a diabetic, I am more than capable of doing everything I need to, but it feels like my daughters are looking after me and it should be the other way round.
I do now feel that now my wife has left, I will never find anyone or no one would want to commit to a life with someone who has diabetes ( type 1 )
The exact thing happened to my dad at a similar age and he never found anyone after my mum left and diabetes had a big part to play in that.
Although the condition can't been seen, it impacts on your life so much.

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
It took me many years to find the right man but we have been together for 5 years now and are getting married next year. He is my soulmate and has learnt very quickly about Diabetes. He takes it in his stride now whenever I have a Hypo. You will find someone. Just don't give up or rush into anything.