Type 1: Glucose level before bed

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious if anybody has been told that their glucose levels must be above a certain limit before going to bed?

Somebody mentioned in passing that he ideally wants 8.0 before going to bed, but this seems quite high in my opinion. If he is lower than that, then he eats some toast before going bed.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Coopsman1 , I can't remember ever being told a specific number, but personally I don't like to if I'm below about 5, maybe 5.5 depending on how I am feeling. Haha, not that I'm ever that low in the first place! Mostly it's because I'm petrified of having a low in the night and not waking up, but also because if I do dip a bit low, the resultant rebound tends to be horrendous. Whether or not I eat something depends on the weather - if it's hot, I'm more likely to have a hypo, so I might eat something, but if it's cold I probably won't bother.

Hope that helps!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Just curious if anybody has been told that their glucose levels must be above a certain limit before going to bed?

Somebody mentioned in passing that he ideally wants 8.0 before going to bed, but this seems quite high in my opinion. If he is lower than that, then he eats some toast before going bed.
I was told not lower than 6.5

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The job of basal insulin is to keep you steady. If you're confident your basal dosage is correct that should mean you're confident you can go to bed at normal levels without the need to push them up to 8, which I would agree is a little high. But people do what they are comfortable with, if not confident in basal dose, or perhaps using a different insulin regime, it's sensible to be cautious and avoid night time hypos.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Coopsman1 . As with everything diabetes related there are no definitive rules. Your diabetes is unique to you. As for bedtime sugars and eating it really is what you feel comfortable with. Trial and error unfortunately is what is needed. Testing at intervals through the night gives a good source of information, trialling different foods before bed can help decide what keeps you stable and what doesn't. I find bedtime one of the most difficult times being diabetic even after 27 yrs.
Probably best advice I can offer is that if you change your bedtime regime only change one thing at a time and make small changes.

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The job of basal insulin is to keep you steady. If you're confident your basal dosage is correct that should mean you're confident you can go to bed at normal levels without the need to push them up to 8, which I would agree is a little high. But people do what they are comfortable with, if not confident in basal dose, or perhaps using a different insulin regime, it's sensible to be cautious and avoid night time hypos.

I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and now confident enough to start basal testing to ensure my levels as best as they can be, however I use Novopens and am relatively limited to the increments I can make.

Personally I was thinking 6 is a good starting point, any lower before bed and I will abandon the test and try again another night.

Kojo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everyone is unique in the management of diabetes. One size does not fit all even though there are general applications. I am T2 and whenever my bedtime level is below 7, I get a morning high of 8 or above and if it is 8 or above at bedtime I get a morning reading of below 7. This helps me to determine whether I should snack before bedtime.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My basal has been fine tuned using the Libre and usually resembles a clothes line overnight until my 4:30am dawn phenomenon kicks in.

As such, I'm generally happy as long as it's in the high 4's and will correct if it's above 7.

It comes down to your own confidence in your basal insulin and your comfort zone. I would say that 6.5 is a fine level to go to bed if you're worried about hypos.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was told 6.5 to 8.
There is no rhyme or reason with my results. I have gone to bed over 8 and woken up in the 4s. And gone to bed dead on 6.5 to get up to mid teens. Such is diabetic life for me.

Reactions: petdell