Type 1: Got a cold and lost control of levels

Keggering

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on a strict low carb diet and have recently started using CGM, so my levels are as tightly controlled as possible for a type 1, and my insulin requirements as low as I can get them. I've picked up a cold and starting on Tuesday night my levels started to rise. I understand that this is normal for a mild illness, but through yesterday and today I've had to correct so frequently, I am taking double my daily dose or more! Most of the corrections don't seem to have any lowering effect, or if my levels come down a bit they just head back up a few minutes later. My cold isn't even that bad! I've taken fresh insulin out of the fridge to make sure they haven't gone off. I can't believe the amount of insulin I'm taking, I've been much sicker than this and brought it down much more easily. It's upsetting me a lot because I've worked really hard to get tight control and low insulin requirements. Please does anyone have any advice on what I'm doing wrong, or when this will end?!?!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been diagnosed? If you're sure it's not dodgy insulin it might be the end of your honeymoon period rather than due to your cold. Have you tried upping your basal?

Keggering

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been diagnosed? If you're sure it's not dodgy insulin it might be the end of your honeymoon period rather than due to your cold. Have you tried upping your basal?
Thanks but the honeymoon is long over for me! Yes I've increased both insulins, thanks for the advice.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I had and am still recovering from a viral infection over Christmas. My lantus/basal went from 18iu up to 40+iu and I still stayed near 10mmol (bg) for most of around 3-4 weeks. Sadly it's the only time near perfect control is almost impossible - monitor, adjust, maintain low carbs and stay well hydrated - that's all you can do!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on a strict low carb diet and have recently started using CGM, so my levels are as tightly controlled as possible for a type 1, and my insulin requirements as low as I can get them. I've picked up a cold and starting on Tuesday night my levels started to rise. I understand that this is normal for a mild illness, but through yesterday and today I've had to correct so frequently, I am taking double my daily dose or more! Most of the corrections don't seem to have any lowering effect, or if my levels come down a bit they just head back up a few minutes later. My cold isn't even that bad! I've taken fresh insulin out of the fridge to make sure they haven't gone off. I can't believe the amount of insulin I'm taking, I've been much sicker than this and brought it down much more easily. It's upsetting me a lot because I've worked really hard to get tight control and low insulin requirements. Please does anyone have any advice on what I'm doing wrong, or when this will end?!?!

When I have a cold my blood sugars tend to go really high. Stress doesn't help either

Keggering

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had and am still recovering from a viral infection over Christmas. My lantus/basal went from 18iu up to 40+iu and I still stayed near 10mmol (bg) for most of around 3-4 weeks. Sadly it's the only time near perfect control is almost impossible - monitor, adjust, maintain low carbs and stay well hydrated - that's all you can do!
Oh my goodness as much as that! It's so frustrating but I guess I'll just have to keep injecting what feels like bucketloads of insulin :( Thanks.