Type 1 Insulin substitutes in the US while traveling

Hi All,

Hope you are all well and might be able to help me. This is my first time posting on here and apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

I am currently on a business trip in the US and live in the Scotland, UK. My trip has been extended and wanted to reach out to the Diabetic community to ask for some advice with regards to what insulin I get with what is available in the US.

I normally travel with enough insulin when working abroad but with my trip being extended and I am going to run tight on my insulin.

My current UK insulins are:

Slow Acting - Novo Nordisk - Levemir
Fast Acting Novo Nordisk - NovoRapid (flexpen)

The US medical system works slightly different to the UK as they don't have the NHS over in the US and a lot of prescriptions have to be paid for.

I have visited the local Walgreens Pharmacy (Boots Pharmacy in the UK) and they stock the slow acting Levemir but the NovoRapid is called "NovoLog".
I just wanted to see if anyone else has had to use the NovoLog while in the US and is it the same as NovoRapid?

I have done some google searching and NovoLog is a fast acting insulin and looking at the boxes of them they look identical to the Rapid but wanted to make sure before I go ahead and pay for them.

Any help or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Much appreciated and thanks in advance
Neil

Reactions: ammarahmed417

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome!
From reading different posts, apparently novolog is novorapid. Did you ask the pharmacists if he or she could tell you?

Hi Both,

Thanks for helping on this. I spoke to my UK Diabetes team and they did some research and looking at them both reckoned that it works the same it is the same ingredient "insulin Apart" that are in both.

Thanks agin for your help. I will reply to this once I have purchased the NovoLog and used it for a few days, to confirm it works the same from further people.

Regards
Neil

Reactions: NaijaChick