1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1. Just diagnosed. Still in hospital bed.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Davemills, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Davemills they like to bring levels down slowly as quick changes can damage the body, especially eyes.
    The gym should be ok once you recover a bit. Weights tend to push my levels up, cardio brings it down. Make sure you have your hypo kit on you when you go and test regularly. Take a look at the runsweet website.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JPW1

JPW1 LADA · Well-Known Member

I started insulin therapy just before Christmas, with gradually increasing doses its really only this week that I've seen BG levels returning to within range, still some adjustment needed though, so I wouldn't worry too much about high levels at your stage in the game. I found the gym including running 5-6K put my BG levels up or they stayed the same until later in the day (I think it rises due to increasing adrenalin) when it might drop quite a bit - something to watch if you go later in the evening I would guess.

3. Davemills

Davemills · Member

Yeah I'll maybe leave it a bit before trying to gym still all over the place at the moment

4. Davemills

Davemills · Member

Quite long then before they reach 'normal range' then. The consultant did say that I would need to reduce my overnight dose if I go to the gym in the evening. Long road ahead lol

5. Davemills

Davemills · Member

Another question. Something for later down the road but just came to me. If yous are out all day/or even maybe away somewhere and need to take more than one shot of insulin. How do you dispose of the needles?

6. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Those little pots your testing strips come in are pretty useful for emergency storage once they are empty.

Although a lot of us are pretty lazy about changing needles every time we inject!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Davemills

Davemills · Member

Good idea with the pots

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I pop the needles back into my test kit. It is important to change the needle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaveHFCooper

DaveHFCooper · Newbie

Type 2 two weeks ago ! Still confused as to what I'm supposed to do, eat etc but keep positive Dave, at least it's been caught!

• Like Like x 1
  10. rowlyc

rowlyc Type 1 · Member

Hi Dave, I am fairly newly diagnosed too, 06/12/19. And I am still very much trying to find my new normal. It's the strangest disease ever, everytime I speak to people with it or with children with it, I learn something else which dumbfounds me! I am currently trying to keep as low carb as possible, I find it keeps me from spiking high or going too low (but everyone's different). However, when exercising I eat a banana and test regularly, eating further carbs if needs be. There's lots of negatives out there, so be careful joining social media groups. Try to suck in as much information as possible, but try and take it easy too, as I still find on some days it consumes my thinking. At the beginning everyday it consumed my thinking.....so it is getting less....woo! I do think it will benefit me in ways, my diet is a lot healthier now, I am losing weight (which I needed) and I am more focussed on what's important in life and thinking of me first rather than others. Good luck, I hope you are starting to get your head around it and you are feeling better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TIGERLILY1991

TIGERLILY1991 Type 1 · Member

Hi Dave,

I was diagnosed in July last year so still pretty new too! Things do become the norm very quickly. In regards to disposing of needles, my DSN introduced me to needle clippers and I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread! They're pretty cheap on Amazon and mean you can just snip the end off the needle which is then safely stored inside the clipper.

Hope this helps.

Jx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook