Type 1 - low blood sugars and small baby

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I'm T1D and am almost 30 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby.

A bit of background - my 1st baby, I had a very typical pregnancy for a T1. Everything went smoothly and she was born by C-Section at 38+1 due to being large for gestational age. She was tracking on the 98th centile from the 28 week scan and was born 8lb 10oz.

This pregnancy has been more challenging for me. I had a HUGE bleed at 10 weeks and my BG has been so unstable. I have had crazy amounts of hypos throughout the pregnancy with my HbA1c predicted around 35 (was 46 pre-pregnancy). I was moved onto an Insulin Pump on 25th April and the hypos have reduced significantly already. When not in hypo though, my sugars have been between 5-9 so pretty good.

I went for the 28 week growth scan around 29 weeks and was expecting another 90+ centile. However, I was told our baby is tracking really small, on the 3rd centile. I've got to go back on 10th May for another scan to see if she is growing at all, or if she is growing steadily on a lower centile.

I questioned if it could be because of the hypos as the placenta and umbilical cord appear to be functioning as they should. The Obstetrician thought it was possible whereas the endocrinologist didn't think it would impact on our baby's size.

Has anyone got any similar experiences? If so, was it caused by hypos? I'm really hoping that a week of higher BG / little hypos will have helped her grow but I have no idea...

TIA x

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
So I'm almost 29 weeks and had the growth scan yesterday and baby is measuring small too! I've always had horrendous hypos and they were bad during the first trimester. I think I've convinced myself not to go high at all so ended up going low a lot. They told me that they're going to keep an eye on the baby and see if there's a change in 4 weeks. How are things your end?

Bethan.92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With my first baby I had lots of hypos as I was scared of going high and my baby being big as a result of diabetes. I had him at 38w+4 and my hba1c was around 34. He was 8lb4oz, my second baby I had some stubborn highs and probably a higher hba1c and they told me she was around 6lb5oz and 37 weeks, she was born at 8lb4.5oz