1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 & metformin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by PeterHud, Jun 5, 2019.

1. PeterHud

PeterHud Type 2 · Active Member

Hi

Not posted for a while but things going well and readings between 5 to 7 most of the time.
    On humalog and ratio is 1:20 carbs. Use levimir twice daily.

Diabetic nurse also putting me on 500mg modified release Metformin tablets - 1 a day starting next week
    Any other type 1 also taking Metformin with insulin. Seems odd to me.

My humalog ratio changing to 1:30 carbs as well.

Have to keep an eye on any side effects and hope this isn't going to interfere with drinking as well .

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I am only using Fiasp so cannot help you.
    But I wondered what was the reason your nurse gave if your readings are between 5 and 7.

I think there are others with t1 taking metformin.

3. PeterHud

PeterHud Type 2 · Active Member

It's still a bit confusing to me .... Learning everyday

Sometimes my readings go down to the lower 5s and when out walking and drinking and eating I rarely need insulin at all. I do alot of walking .

One minute she says I could be on honeymoon period and next they say I could be type 2 but don't need to loose weight or I will be invisible ... They cannot figure me out

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Hi peter im type1 and take metformin 3 500mg times a day with meals although it doesnt do nothing for my bgs it does make my insulin work more efficiently as im very insulin sensitive/resistant if i dont take it my levels go off the charts regardless of how much insulin i take its mad but it works

• Like Like x 1
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am not on metformin and my glucose levels are fine on insulin but I do recall my Consultant saying to me at one appointment that it may be prudent to be on metformin as well for 'heart health purposes'. I didn't know what he meant and I wasn't put on it. I'm guessing he means metformin protects against heart disease??? Not sure though.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook