Type 1 & metformin

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Not posted for a while but things going well and readings between 5 to 7 most of the time.
On humalog and ratio is 1:20 carbs. Use levimir twice daily.

Diabetic nurse also putting me on 500mg modified release Metformin tablets - 1 a day starting next week
Any other type 1 also taking Metformin with insulin. Seems odd to me.

My humalog ratio changing to 1:30 carbs as well.

Have to keep an eye on any side effects and hope this isn't going to interfere with drinking as well .

D

Deleted Account

I am only using Fiasp so cannot help you.
But I wondered what was the reason your nurse gave if your readings are between 5 and 7.

I think there are others with t1 taking metformin.

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's still a bit confusing to me .... Learning everyday

Sometimes my readings go down to the lower 5s and when out walking and drinking and eating I rarely need insulin at all. I do alot of walking .

One minute she says I could be on honeymoon period and next they say I could be type 2 but don't need to loose weight or I will be invisible ... They cannot figure me out

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi peter im type1 and take metformin 3 500mg times a day with meals although it doesnt do nothing for my bgs it does make my insulin work more efficiently as im very insulin sensitive/resistant if i dont take it my levels go off the charts regardless of how much insulin i take its mad but it works

Reactions: PeterHud

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not on metformin and my glucose levels are fine on insulin but I do recall my Consultant saying to me at one appointment that it may be prudent to be on metformin as well for 'heart health purposes'. I didn't know what he meant and I wasn't put on it. I'm guessing he means metformin protects against heart disease??? Not sure though.