Type 1 partner in Thailand

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
politicians- Thai hospitals
So little known so many have. So many die through lack of information and unable to afford medication. People moan about the NHS, my first visit with my partner to a Thai hospital left me worried to death about the lack of knowledge. My second to a private hospital although much better still lacked proper advice and cost £240 for pen, a months supply of insulin , 10 Penn needles which we were told could use each for 3 days? and 28 tablets to reduce high cholesterol It's our second day trying to get to grips with diet, injecting and taking readings. My partner lost all her family to diabetic complications her father the eldest made 50 while her mother 46 ,sister 38 and brother 25. I just hope my partner can with the help of sites like this and a better understand of being diabetic she will hopefully reach a ripe old age

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @scottdavio and welcome to the forum. I'm Type 2 so don't know much about Type 1, but I expect some of the T1s will be along when it's morning in UK.
I'm in Thailand at the moment, and apparently Thailand has a higher rate of T2 (1 in 13 adults) than the UK (1 in 16).
Nearly every Thai I have spoken to has parents who are diabetic, usually with associated complications. Many have to go home to look after a parent. But they are just given meds, if they are lucky, and continue eating fruit, rice and sugary stuff.
I know we moan about the NHS in the UK, but we are lucky to have it, for all it's faults.

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi prem I'm not surprised at what you say, as with you most Thais I know have a diabetic friend or family member and from what I gather some take tablets and insulin while many don't think being diabetic is a problem and live life on rice and sugary cooking sauces not bothering to take medication. My opinion of the NHS has certainly changed. Have a good day

Reactions: SueJB and Prem51

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scottdavio

As you can guess form my screen name I live in Bangkok and have done so for 20 yrs+ firstly do not buy medicines from Hospitals sometimes 3 or 4 times the prices in Pharmacies Now where are you In Thailand as some Pharmacies are much cheaper than others and maybe I can suggest some that are less expensive. Depending on your hospital & Doctor the service you get varies a lot. I went through Several Docs before finding on I had faith in as a rule the more recently trained doctors seem to have a more modern approach although there are exceptions. Never found a Good Dietician or Foot Doc here. So I depend heavily on common Sense and this forum. Do you have a Meter as Strips can be expensive in Thailand about 400 Baht per 25. These can be purchased for about a quarter of the price On Line Now I am 77yrs old so don't know how long I have left,so if you want to talk pm me your phone no and we can chat

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi prem I'm not surprised at what you say, as with you most Thais I know have a diabetic friend or family member and from what I gather some take tablets and insulin while many don't think being diabetic is a problem and live life on rice and sugary cooking sauces not bothering to take medication.
I think it's the Buddhist belief that it is their 'destiny'.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
So little known so many have. So many die through lack of information and unable to afford medication. People moan about the NHS, my first visit with my partner to a Thai hospital left me worried to death about the lack of knowledge. My second to a private hospital although much better still lacked proper advice and cost £240 for pen, a months supply of insulin , 10 Penn needles which we were told could use each for 3 days? and 28 tablets to reduce high cholesterol It's our second day trying to get to grips with diet, injecting and taking readings. My partner lost all her family to diabetic complications her father the eldest made 50 while her mother 46 ,sister 38 and brother 25. I just hope my partner can with the help of sites like this and a better understand of being diabetic she will hopefully reach a ripe old age
I really feel for you and do so hope all goes well

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi thanks for your message, we live in jomtien and went to the memorial hospital in Pattaya. We have a testing device and bought some testing strips from lazzarda but not cheap nearly 1000 baht for 50. The machine is a Glucochek easy pro. Do you know where I could buy cheaper? Also we had to buy an insulin Penn and a months supply of insulin but only 10 Penn needles, I'm still waiting for a reply from the hospital to get confirmation from the doctor that 1 needle can be used for 3 days or 6 injections. From what I read it's a new needle every time. Thanks for your offer to talk I have a Thai phone but I'm not smart enough to find the number. I will have to ask my other half later. P.s 77 young not old

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1 needle can be used for 3 days or 6 injections. From what I read it's a new needle every time.
I don't know anything about Thailand, but it looks like @bangkokdiabetic will help you out with a lot of the practical stuff.
The needles are designed for single use, but many diabetics use them for days, even when the insurance pays for them. So, using them more often is not good practice but I think you can use them a couple of times for now and worry about it after you tackled the other problems you encountered. After all, it's better to get the insulin in you with a needle that isn't perfectly sharp anymore than not get insulin at all.
All the best to the both of you!

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Antje 77 for your reply. I have read that single use is good practice but many use many times until painful. I am looking into buying more but so far apart from buying from Amazon Which charge quite a lot for shipping which puts the cost higher than buying from hospital. I am in the early stage of research but I plan to do the best I can for my partner with what I can afford Wishing you well