Type 1: Prescription fine

elaine77

Well this is interesting!! I asked for one of these exemption cards when diagnosed and my DSN told me It wasn't worth bothering with as the pharmacy (next door) have all the proof they require from the surgery!

The pharmacy have also never asked me to produce my card and I'm sorry but I completely disagree with Carbsrok and I think it is absolutely the responsibility of the pharmacy as much as the patient to check for these cards!! Dentists etc always ask to see exemption cards and pharmacies should be no different!

It's like going to a shop for some shopping and saying 'oh I have the money at home, il bring it next time' and the shop letting you walk out with the goods for free!! Wouldn't happen!! And if it did I'm pretty sure the cashier would be getting disciplined for it!!

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well this is interesting!! I asked for one of these exemption cards when diagnosed and my DSN told me It wasn't worth bothering with as the pharmacy (next door) have all the proof they require from the surgery!
I hate to tell you this but if you do not have the certificate, then you are in line for a fine and prescription charges if you haven't got one.

The pharmacy have also never asked me to produce my card and I'm sorry but I completely disagree with Carbsrok and I think it is absolutely the responsibility of the pharmacy as much as the patient to check for these cards!! Dentists etc always ask to see exemption cards and pharmacies should be no different!
No it's your responsibility more so than the pharmacist. This is quite clearly stated on the websites and forms that it's down to you.

It's like going to a shop for some shopping and saying 'oh I have the money at home, il bring it next time' and the shop letting you walk out with the goods for free!! Wouldn't happen!! And if it did I'm pretty sure the cashier would be getting disciplined for it!!
This happens a lot in local communities you sign the ticket and pay the next time you are in.
Bottom line is we can all get on our high horses over the fines, injustice of it etc, but it's in black and white as to what's required then there's no excuse for the moan if you end up with a fine.

Reactions: 6 people

elaine77

I have never been directed to forms or websites and have put my trust in my medical professionals. We only know as much as we are told! And it is down to pharmacies as much as patients and I stand by that opinion, especially considering pharmacy workers get TRAINING on these things whereas, clearly, patients are not being given correct information. Therefore, we are fully entitled to moan!!! We are not psychic!! We do as we are advised by the professionals!

And yes, perhaps small corner shops, but nationwide retailers such as Asda and tesco megastores?? No, I'm sorry, there is no way they would just allow people to leave the store with unpaid goods!!

Troll on all you want Carbsrok but the only thing I am obliged to do is to do as my medical professionals say and I explicitly asked my DSN about the exemption card and was told EXPLICITLY that I didn't need one as the surgery has an 'information sharing' arrangement with the pharmacy next door. This may well be incorrect but it does not change the fact that I was misinformed and am not responsible in any way for the fact they gave me incorrect information.

I have my review on 19th January and will most definitely be bringing this up with my DSN but, either way, if I got a fine I would most certainly NOT be paying it. If the NHS are giving out incorrect information regarding their services then I'm afraid that's on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have never been directed to forms or websites and have put my trust in my medical professionals. We only know as much as we are told! And it is down to pharmacies as much as patients and I stand by that opinion, especially considering pharmacy workers get TRAINING on these things whereas, clearly, patients are not being given correct information. Therefore, we are fully entitled to moan!!! We are not psychic!! We do as we are advised by the professionals!

And yes, perhaps small corner shops, but nationwide retailers such as Asda and tesco megastores?? No, I'm sorry, there is no way they would just allow people to leave the store with unpaid goods!!

Troll on all you want Carbsrok but the only thing I am obliged to do is to do as my medical professionals say and I explicitly asked my DSN about the exemption card and was told EXPLICITLY that I didn't need one as the surgery has an 'information sharing' arrangement with the pharmacy next door. This may well be incorrect but it does not change the fact that I was misinformed and am not responsible in any way for the fact they gave me incorrect information.

I have my review on 19th January and will most definitely be bringing this up with my DSN but, either way, if I got a fine I would most certainly NOT be paying it. If the NHS are giving out incorrect information regarding their services then I'm afraid that's on them.

Good luck on the 19th and if DSN says the same again, get her to sign and date her comments about the medical excemption certificate "I would like that in writing please". Your proof.

All the best RRB

C

catherinecherub

Can we please keep the name calling out of this thread.
People are entitled to voice their opinions but when someone is quoting the correct advice then they do not deserve to be called a troll.
This is taken from Carbsrok's link.

Q. My current Medical Exemption Certificate is due to expire soon. How do I renew it?
A. You will need to ask your doctor to complete and submit a new FP92A application form. We will send you a reminder letter approximately one month before your certificate is due to expire.

Reactions: 2 people

elaine77

Excuse me Catherine but Carbsrok was being rude and blameful to the point where offence was being caused - and I'm not the only one who thought so! And as for 'correct advice' are u suggesting my medical professionals are giving me wrong advice? If so, then that may well be the case, but we are always told on this forum to listen to our HCPs and not other users!

We do not expect to be blamed and criticised (or called fraudsters!) on here for not knowing information that was either NOT given to us, or given incorrectly!

And with regards to that linked information - as explained, I DID ask my DSN about getting a form and getting it signed and was told there was no need. I had no reason whatsoever for not believing what she told me was true. I, therefore, find being called a fraudster (or being accused of fraudulent behaviour) offensive and do not believe we deserve to be called that.

C

catherinecherub

If you thought that a post was rude and blameful then why didn't you report it? You do have that option. Calling someone a troll does nothing for the situation and is against forum rules.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ethos-forum-rules.50278/
Come here with an open mind, read the posts. If you don’t agree with something then ignore it or ask constructive questions. Do not disparage because it is not your opinion or way of doing things. If you find an error then correct it constructively. State your source for the correction so there is no doubt about it.

• This is a forum of many different personalities – if you disagree with someone then use the PM system or start a constructive debate. It doesn’t do yourself or anyone else any favours to have to read miles of disagreeing posts.

The thread has highlighted the limited knowledge of patients, HCPs and Pharmacists about the renewal of exemption certificates and that cannot be a bad thing.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Excuse me Catherine but Carbsrok was being rude and blameful to the point where offence was being caused - and I'm not the only one who thought so! And as for 'correct advice' are u suggesting my medical professionals are giving me wrong advice? If so, then that may well be the case, but we are always told on this forum to listen to our HCPs and not other users!

We do not expect to be blamed and criticised (or called fraudsters!) on here for not knowing information that was either NOT given to us, or given incorrectly!

And with regards to that linked information - as explained, I DID ask my DSN about getting a form and getting it signed and was told there was no need. I had no reason whatsoever for not believing what she told me was true. I, therefore, find being called a fraudster (or being accused of fraudulent behaviour) offensive and do not believe we deserve to be called that.
Excuse me young lady! I was not being rude and or blameful. All I did was point out how the NHS business folk would view anyone not having a certificate. Would you also point me in the direction of the post where I called you a fraudster?
Yes like everyone else I agree it's a waste of time and money, but the NHS folk insist on the exemption certificate end of story.
As to trusting your practice nurse (she isn't a DSN) if she told you stick your head in a gas oven would you do so?

elaine77

I should not have to report it, you managed to admonish the fact a couple of people mentioned trolling ( I was not the first to mention this) so how come you failed to acknowledge that accusing people of fraudulent behaviour could not also be construed as offensive and unhelpful?

We made it very clear on this post that we had no idea we HAD to have one of those cards or we would be fined - there was no need to accuse people of being fraudsters and I stand by my right to defend myself and agree with others who also felt offended.

elaine77

Hi You need an exemption certificate, which you should have obtained and renewed every 5 years after diagnoses.
Basically what you have done is signed your prescription saying you have an exemption certificate when you do not, so as far as the nhs is concerned it's a fraudulent claim. So eat humble pie get the form filled in and signed by your GP and send it off.

Here you are clearly telling someone to "eat humble pie" and that they are engaging in fraudulent behaviour by making fraudulent claims. This is offensive, unnecessary, unhelpful and also untrue as the OP (and others) made it CLEAR that the NHS has failed to advise them that this was the case.

Also, how on earth do you know she is not a DSN?? She is the DSN for my GP surgery actually and I think I should know more about that than you!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I should not have to report it, you managed to admonish the fact a couple of people mentioned trolling ( I was not the first to mention this) so how come you failed to acknowledge that accusing people of fraudulent behaviour could not also be construed as offensive and unhelpful?

We made it very clear on this post that we had no idea we HAD to have one of those cards or we would be fined - there was no need to accuse people of being fraudsters and I stand by my right to defend myself and agree with others who also felt offended.

Also, how on earth do you know she is not a DSN?? She is the DSN for my GP surgery actually and I think I should know more about that than you!

OK IN LARGE CAPITAL LETTER I DID NOT CALL YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FRAUDULANT.
I POINTED OUT THAT THIS WAS HOW THE NHS LOOKED AT IT HENCE THE FINES PEOPLE ARE GETTING. DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND THIS?
I also stand by my right to defend myself when someone is accusing me of something I have not said.

C

catherinecherub

If a post is reported then it is evaluated and a decision is made. I cannot act on posts that are not reported unless I read every post on the forum. If you wish to argue with a Moderator then I suggest you carry on with this via pm.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here you are clearly telling someone to "eat humble pie" and that they are engaging in fraudulent behaviour by making fraudulent claims. This is offensive, unnecessary, unhelpful and also untrue as the OP (and others) made it CLEAR that the NHS has failed to advise them that this was the case.

As was pointed out ignorance of the law is no excuse. Hence write a nice grovelling letter and hope to be let off.
Same thing works very well when you get clobbered with a parking ticket for not having it on display, write a letter explaining why and quite often the fine will be rescinded.
DSN's do not work in practices they spend a couple of years getting extra qualifications and work in the hospitals, where they get a very good salary.

C

catherinecherub

This thread needs to get back on track and people who wish to disagree, will you please do so via PM. The thread is not going to be closed at is essential that all forum members know about the subject but I will have no hesitation in deleting posts if the argument continues.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I collect a prescription from the pharmacy I have to sign the back of the form and tick the box that says I have a valid medical exemption certificate.

As I actually do have one then I am entitled to sign there. The form does not ask if I have been told by GP or other medical professional that I am exempt. So the onus is on me to ensure I have completed the correct procedures to have a valid certificate of exemption. Having the condition is not enough.

That said, it does appear that whoever is issuing fines to people with diabetes for not having the exemption certificate is looking for easy revenue. After all, the items or medication on prescription should give an indication that the person named on the prescription has diabetes.

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's for metformin only though this can be prescribed for PCOS and PCOS sufferers are not exempt from paying for prescriptions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's for metformin only though this can be prescribed for PCOS and PCOS sufferers are not exempt from paying for prescriptions.

Yes, thanks for that zand. Wouldn't like to have any omissions in info. Enough confusion in this thread already.

Ironically, I no longer have diabetes meds, but exemption certificate is still valid until May 2015.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No one would suggest that someone has been deliberately fraudulent by not having an exemption certificate in place, there's obviously been some confusion over the years with many thinking they automatically qualify for free prescriptions without applying for a certificate, that in my opinion is easily done but this thread acts as a reminder that this is not the case, so lets get back on track and do what we do best...............that is support one-another.

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week my prescription had been sent electronically to the pharmacy. When my husband went to collect it for me the pharmacist said he did not need to sign any declaration that I had exemption as it is all linked on computer.

Perhaps that is why some people are now being caught out for not having the valid exemption certificate. All the fault of a computer system? (Said with irony).