Type 1: Racing heart rate and high blood sugar

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I woke up this morning with a blood sugar of 18 - I went to bed with a blood sugar of 6 but slept longer than usual (the joys of annual leave!) and woke up, checked my blood and almost had a heart attach!! But my heart has been racing for the last hour, is this normal??

Gpad

I think it is quite common, I suffer from this too and it's usually in the morning if waking up with a high. I haven't really looked into it as it tends to right itself when I get the levels back to normal so would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced this and what the explanation is.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But my heart has been racing for the last hour, is this normal??

As you were shocked at your bg result your body would have released adrenaline, the result of this can be a racing heart beat.

Hopefully by now it's back to normal, if not I'd seek medical advice.

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try not to panic! I'm not sure what you usually do when your sugars are high, but I usually inject extra insulin to bring my sugars down. Drink plenty of fluids as well (although you'll probably be thirsty anyway I expect!).

Melissa x

Reactions: azure

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I woke up this morning with a blood sugar of 18 - I went to bed with a blood sugar of 6 but slept longer than usual (the joys of annual leave!) and woke up, checked my blood and almost had a heart attach!! But my heart has been racing for the last hour, is this normal??
For the longest time I had a tough time controlling my morning BGs - they too were in the range of 16 - 18, sometimes even +20 and was dealing with this for years until I stumbled on the concept of eating less for my final meal of the day. It was difficult at first because I was always going to bed hungry but I don;t seem to experience the hunger any more and my morning BGs now usually range from 3.8 to 4.8 - this morning it was actually 3.7. So I don;t know what you're eating for the last meal of the day and when you eat it but from my experiences - eat well before bed time, and if you're not doing so already lower the carbs for your final meal. It could help those morning Blood Sugar Levels.

A

asparagusp

Try not to panic! What are your normal fasting readings?