Type 1, sport and lchf diet

Ruthsmeth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone have any experience with type 1, competitive sport and ketogenic diet - my daughter is type 1 , a competitive swimmer and on ketogenic diet and we just cannot find the balance in it all for optimal Bg, sports performance and low carb diet - help.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few questions: first, is your daughter a child or an adult? If she's a child, is there a particular reason you use her on a ketogenic diet? Third, can you elaborate on what specific troubles she's having?

There are plenty of us on the forum who are very active and living with type 1. However, it's a very different conversation between discussing a child who is still growing and developing, and a fully-grown adult.

Ruthsmeth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter is 12. Ketogenuc diet helps to keep her numbers in better range and lessen the hypos.
Reduces need for as much fast acting insulin. Growth spurts are a ***** when it comes to keeping levels even, and kerogen I diet also helps to level out pre teen moods. Also found that she would tend to stop responding to the fast acting insulin at times and was starting to deposit body fat even though eating 'good' and very active. My concern is around ketone levels that are safe for type one diabetics with low carbing. As well as how to get past the inevitable weakness and fatigue that happens when first going low carb and adapting to fat use for fuel. And how to increase sports performance once ketogenic. Crikey that's a lot

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the answer I was afraid of. First, I understand the demand of being a competitive athlete as I'm a former college baseball player and competitive weightlifter. Second, I understand the benefits of a ketogenic diet for someone with T1D as I've implemented the approach myself when it was necessary.

My concern for your daughter lies around the fact that you mention looking for "Balance," yet your primary focus seems to be around her blood sugar levels. While that is a top priority, it isn't necessarily the ONLY priority.

There's a lot of evidence to suggest that a ketogenic diet is harmful to a child that's still developing. It's often great for a fully grown adult, but that's a different topic,

While ketogenic diets have been proven to be beneficial for athletes, those athletes primarily compete in endurance races where short bursts of energy aren't as necessary. Carbohydrates are absolutely necessary in those types of situations like a sprint or short swimming distance.

Growth spurts are "A *****" because her body is demanding nutrients to continue growing and developing. Consider that the ketogenic diet is hindering that growth process and even blood sugar levels may not be an enkei treat good thing in this case.

Bottom line: I hope this is something you've thoroughly discussed with professionals and it isn't just something you've read online. The dietary approach for an active child needs to be much different than that of a fully-developed adult. That's not to say that your daughter should eat whatever she wants (I've seen the negative effects of that as well), but in your own words, there should be a "Balance" rather than so many compromises.