Type 1: Travel Abroad

Samsgrandad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently moved home, and I asked at my new surgery if they could provide me with a letter confirming that I have Diabetes, so that when going through security at an airport I can confirm the reason I have sharps, needles and syringes on me. My previous surgery supplied this without charge and in actual fact it was typed and signed by the practice nurse. Imagine my surprise to be told that the Doctor could do this but there is liable to be a charge of £23. I argued that this is unfair as it is something that I can't do anything about, unlike a letter for say insurance or work related issues.
Has anyone else had this problem? If they insist on making a charge I will go to the local CCG for their thoughts, again has anyone else raised the matter with their local CCG.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your hospital diabetes clinic (if under their care) will likely provide a letter for nothing, worth asking anyway.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've travelled a lot and only been asked once for any back up evidence. All I carried is the prescription form you get when you collect your meds and that was fine.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have an appointment on Wednesday and need to ask my DSN about a letter as im going abroad in a few months for the first time since being diagnosed 3 months ago.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes my go charged me as well (wanted to update the letter as I hadn't had a new one since 1997) your consultant should give you one for free, and if you do travel often I would scan it and save it on your computer so you can just print yourself a new one.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 16 and have been diagnosed 3 months so am still in paediatric. I am going abroad in February and have requested a travel letter from my nurse. It came through in the post about 2 weeks after!

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've travelled a lot over the last 19 years that I've been T1. Never been asked for anything, nor carries anything for that matter!