1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 two year old.

Discussion in 'Parents' started by Skye's_mummy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Skye's_mummy

Skye's_mummy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone lived near Derby with a child similar age? Would love my little girl to have a friend in the same boat as her as she's starting to act up with injections. Just what her to see that it's something other children do too!!

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If don't know about Derby but I'll get the ball on this thread rolling by tagging in @shivles . Her T1 kid is about that age..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Skye's_mummy

Thanks, don't mind doing a bit of traveling but not miles and miles!!

4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried speaking to your dsn? When I was little my diabetes team did play days, group sessions for parents & children, trips etc not sure if they are still done now as this was 25 ish years ago but maybe worth an ask?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skye's_mummy

Yeah I've been in contact with them I'm going to a cooking class soon. Just waiting for more info about a xmas party too. But I'd love her to do 'normal' kids stuff with another child like her too, trips to the park, out for lunch etc.

6. shivles

shivles · Well-Known Member

Hi, my LO is 18 months :) we are in Warrington so quite a distance! Your team will be able to tell you about groups etc, you're welcome to drop me a message any time though

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Skye's_mummy

Just a little bit too far then!! But thanks very much, just wanted someone to catch up with who has to decide if there childs sugars are high/low or there just being a child!!

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Tracyw

Tracyw · Newbie

Hi we are in Sheffield with a 15 month old, only diagnosed 3 weeks ago so everything very new and challenging.

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. Skye's_mummy

Hi!
    Ohhh my goodness, such a young age.
    We're 9 weeks in now and still finding our feet. Let me know if there are any questions or even if you just want to vent to someone about it all. It's so difficult with young children as they can't tell you how they feel. Just keep your head above the water that's all you can do

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Tracyw

Tracyw · Newbie

Thank you, her levels still feel high. In the late teens and some 20's. I'm keen to get them down but understand this has to be done gradual. Her night time readings drop through the night so we have to give her a snack before bed to ensure she doesn't drop too much in the night.

11. Skye's_mummy

Don't panic, it took us awhile to get her blood sugars down in single digits. To be honest we still have days where we really struggle to get them in single digits too. Just check her ketones, no need to worry too much to start with unless her ketones go above 1. We're the opposite she goes to bed perfect then shoots up during the night but wakes up fine!! . Everything has to be done slowly otherwise it's dangerous. You will get there, it may take weeks but it will happen. I'm sure your doing a fantastic job, it's not easy so give yourself some credit

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook