1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by 1974darrenh, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I'd say you've succeeded .... easily :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks mike,its only though the support here ::))

3. mike1972

mike1972 Type 1 · Member

Hi my name is Mike and my HbA1c is 7.4% or 57mmol and have been at this level for about six years now and I have had diabetes type 1 for 40 years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. nigelho

nigelho Type 1 · Well-Known Member

HBA1c are now shown as mmols/mol...old money as %. BSs are now shown as mg %. old money as mmol/l.

5. ConradJ

ConradJ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Mike - and wow!

Have you been low-carbing?

If not, what's been your secret?

Do you have any plans to lower yours further?

6. mike1972

mike1972 Type 1 · Member

about six years ago I lived a completely different life style which was career driven and no thought to my diabetes and I decided to turn my life around and accept that I had to change my ways as my diabetes was out of control and I have chronic kidney disease stage 3 and all the usual problems associated with diabetes type 1. I attended a carb counting course that changed the way I dealt with my illness and in 2011 I had an accident which resulted in me being disabled and unfortunately I lost my mom to lung cancer as well. At that point in my life I was as low as it got and being in a wheel chair for 7 months enabled me to see how poorly controlled I really was. This was my defining moment of clarity and I did not want to carry on allowing my diabetes to control me , so I knuckled down got to grips with my illness. my HbA1c was 15.9% and I brought it down to 6.9% and have stayed at that level for 4 years. this was achieved by eliminating carbs from breakfast and lunch and taking no more novo rapid at these times. my blood tests range from 4.9% - 6.8% throughout the day. evening meal has been reduced by 50% carbs which results in less insulin.

• Like Like x 6
  7. nmr1991

nmr1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Latest HbA1c now 14%, been running high for a while and still no ketones or A&E admissions

8. Nicola M

Nicola M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Latest HbA1c was 6.9% :) same as last time I went.

9. BFishr

BFishr Type 1 · Member

10. BFishr

BFishr Type 1 · Member

I have been insulin dependant for 52 years and saw blood testing first come in 32 years ago. I have been using a glucose metre since my first pregnancy 30 years ago. My HbA1 during pregancy was 6.1% and I was told not to go lower than that. I have 3 adult children, all born full term, nomal weight and natural delivery, When I wasn't pregnant my HbA1 was usually around 7.2 % - 55 mmol in current speak. I have not had any "diabetic side effects" and always thought I was doing something right.
    Then I was told to go to a GP clinic with a (so called) diabetes nurse about 10 years ago. I had a diabetic review last week and was told to aim for 48 mmol and that 55 was too high. I was advised to change my insulin to a fixed dose of 10 units novorapid per meal, regardless of my sugar levels or what I was eating and to increase my Lantus as well. Having had 3 days of severe hypo's followed by my sugar "bouncing" and going through the roof I have gone back to the doses and procedures I have always followed. If I hadn't had diabetes all my life and took this woman's advice I dread to think what might happen.
    I am very worried that this sort of thing is happening in GP's surgeries elsewhere. I think if your HbA1c is 55 and you are subject to hypo's you should be told to carry on as you are just as the website advises.

#830 BFishr, Mar 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  11. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Latest result (today) 48. So in the last year I've gone from 66, to 51, to 48, mainly thanks to my pump but obviously I have to work with my pump to make it happen. Feeling pretty bloody chuft with myself I can't lie :D

• Like Like x 7
  12. shedges

shedges Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic @Mrsass ... my latest was 64 :banghead: And that was with a month of lo-carbing thrown in.

Looks like I'm going to have to go on a very dull, predictable diet to get mine down.

• Like Like x 2
  13. L3wisr

L3wisr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I tried my best to get mine low only to be told it was too low. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mrsass

15. L3wisr

First was 39 then it went to 35

16. Mrsass

Wow that's great numbers though it must take some hard work! Well done (even if you do have to let it go up a bit)

17. L3wisr

Thank you. It's more just boring meals every single day haha

• Like Like x 4
  18. benjygirl

benjygirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Last year mine was 6.5 and my GP said that was too low. I had to have several repeats before she was satisfied at 7.1. I`m going for this years reading next week so hope she`ll be satisfied at the first test !!

19. asyarlk

asyarlk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just had my first Hba1c since being diagnosed on 1st Dec 2014 and it's 38mmol/mol. Slightly surprised as it was 86 when I was first diagnosed so really pleased with the progress. It brought me to tears!

20. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good control well done::))

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook