Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My latest tests just back, HbA1c 79 mmol/l, creatinine 129 micromol/l, cholesterol 4.7 mmol/l. The one I'm really not happy about, eGFR 39 ml/min. I foresee a depressing review with my GP in my near future.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest tests just back, HbA1c 79 mmol/l, creatinine 129 micromol/l, cholesterol 4.7 mmol/l. The one I'm really not happy about, eGFR 39 ml/min. I foresee a depressing review with my GP in my near future.

Good job. I'm having extra thyroid tests done since GP says my numbers have been going up very slightly each time we test, so she'll do the other test just in case. Also my endo is a super expert in thyroid stuff, so at least if there's something wrong I'll have good support. Getting bad numbers can be scary but at least you'll get some help and possibly improve for the next time. Good luck.

johnboy326

I used to have (manage) regular hypos, in the belief that it helped to maintain a good HbA1c. I have always had (still have) solid awareness of low sugar - guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
However, there is a definite change in policy, advising against hypos, due to other complications associated with them.
Downside is that most recent HbA1c was 67: C-, must try harder!!
Correct mine last week was 42 down from 43 6 weeks ago, and down from 54 a yr ago after me aggressively controlling BG using insulin carb ratio and upping my basal and testing it was correct by fasting, had a few hypos but nothing generally under 3.5, which is acted on quickly and now I'm being advised to aim for 53 (7%)!! and keep the range as tight as possible, due to heart damage risk I'm 50 with no cardiac history yet. You can't win lol

Reactions: hognose
A

Australia 1

Well, Here is the Down under again. I have my HbA1c done every month at the Cancer Clinic. It is 6.2 to 6.6%. My Endocrinologist is happy with this, but I am not. 5.2% is the target for Australia and this can lead me up to 85 Years Old Plus. If Cancer does not get me, I Am not letting this get me. It is a Fine TIght Rope walk and I know it. But I got one entire Hospital talking because of my ambition in having Lymphoma and Melanoma and beating that and now attacking Diabetes Head on. So I have a huge overkill bag with Letters and a necklace and Trueresult Hypo Tablets, Blood Pressure Cuff, 3 Insulin Pens and Meter and 75 Test Strips. If you think that is OCD, you are wrong. If you are in the Outback you can not even think what horrors would await you!!!! Let alone Crocodile,s Lol. I am not kidding you. And sneaking a weapon along is a good idea also. Brother Sam. P.S. Talked to my Deceased Brothers wife who died December 3rd 2017 of Liver Cancer in America and His History of Diabetes Killed Him. I will tell that detailed medical story shortly. You must walk that Fine Line no matter what. Thank you all for helping me. Qantas Airlines Thanks you and Virgin Australia Thanks you also.

Reactions: River83

johnboy326

Mine is 42 about 5 hypos a week which I am trying to cut out, but I have graves disease but currently hypothyroid in the past week have had my thyroxine increased from 50 to 75 mg and now suddenly I am more insulin sensitive than normal, just adds another calculation to the mix!

Sent from my XT1032 using DCUK Forum mobile app

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
used to be 12% for the past few years, gone down to 11%, but think temporary spikes might be throwing it off since I don't hypo too often and if its below 7 i feel like death probably because it amplifies my anxiety and more chance of having panic attacks, so might have a fear of hypo's

Reactions: gemma_T1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
All of this is very interesting. How can I get my HbA1c measured? I'm based in the UK

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go to your doctor and get the blood test done but make sure you get a print out of your results.

torib131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed last Friday t1. Had no idea. Had blood taken Thursday at gp surgery. Was told to ring Monday for results but got a phone call asking me to go straight back at tea time on Friday with urine sample. Sent straight to a and e.
Hba1c was 143. Finger prick test just said hi. Was put on insulin and fluids through drip. In for 2 days.
Shock to the system to say the least!!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 71 2 weeks ago when first diagnosed was 138 in hospital for 2 days ketones of 6.5 bgs 38 first 3 months was having constant hypos due to fixed doses of insulin second test 73 and latest one as ive said 71 dn was saying it should of came down more but i am trying my best

Reactions: gemma_T1

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed last Friday t1. Had no idea. Had blood taken Thursday at gp surgery. Was told to ring Monday for results but got a phone call asking me to go straight back at tea time on Friday with urine sample. Sent straight to a and e.
Hba1c was 143. Finger prick test just said hi. Was put on insulin and fluids through drip. In for 2 days.
It will be a shock to the system, at least it has been picked up on and you got the right medical care needed. Make sure you come back and introduce yourself properly if you haven’t already. This site takes a lot of the pressure off being diabetic and the info here is priceless and saves so much time.

Good luck for the future, I found that being diabetic I am a lot healthier now than I was and I was only 17-18 upon diagnosis, I’m now 35 and fitter than I have ever been, doing whatever I want. I just have to make smarter choices with my food now and plan a little. Which isn’t a bad thing at all.

:)

torib131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou. I will definitely come back once I've adapted. Right now my logic is that although this condition is completely rubbish, it is manageable and I'm grateful that it's nothing more sinister.

lrn2brunch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Been diagnosed for about a month.
Same happened to me, went to GP complaining of constant thirst and weight loss, brushed off until started throwing up non-stop few weeks later, seen by different doctor, sent me a&e.
Ended up in hospital with DKA, in for 3 days, told there I was type 1.
HbA1c was 176 two weeks after being discharged!

Looking forward to seeing results next time now I’ve been diagnosed and keeping it under control, keeping my blood levels between 5-7 with a few hypos here and there but getting used to it all still.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
February Hba1c is 5.8 which my doctor said is because i still on honeymoon period but i think is because i stayed low carb for this 4 months(Below 50 grams a day).

Reactions: River83

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hba1c.png

This is the best result I've had since 1997, and is the result of intensive carb-counting. I'm quite proud of this, but I think maybe I can go further with keto...