Type 1: Worst hypo ever!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'm so glad Luke was home tonight. He's been on nights all week.

It started off as a usual night for us, bathed Holly and put her to bed in her Moses basket next to my side of the sofa until it's time for us to go to bed and then we carry her up. Then we cooked and ate dinner and then we sat down to watch a film.
Half way through the film I started to feel strange. Not hypo, just strange. I just put it down to tiredness. As time went by I started to feel worse and worse until I eventually decided to test my bloods to see if it was that.
I stood up, went extremely light headed and fell down on top of Hollys basket where she was sleeping!!! Thankfully Luke managed to dive across and grab it before she came crashing down to the floor :'(
He went and got my monitor for me and my bloods were 2.1!
A bottle of lucozade and a Coke later and I'm feeling better.
Miraculously Holly didn't wake at all!

20 years I've been diabetic for and I have NEVER EVER gone down. Not once. It's scary to think what could have happened.

What's everyone else's worst hypo been like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad your little girl was ok through it :)
I have been diabetic for 30 years. My worst hypo happened last year. I've never experienced anything like it. It was early morning and my alarm went off, I remember thinking I will snooze for 5 mins! For the next 2-3 hours I was in and out of consciousness, I could hear my phone ringing, but couldn't register anything. Then all of a sudden I jumped up in a panic. Realising I was late for work. And it was like a movie had been slowed right down, I couldn't function properly at all. I went to stand up and fell over (ended up hitting my eye on the corner of my drawers - and had a black eye). I couldn't even pick my phone up. I thought I was having a stroke. My speech went slurred too, like when someone has a stroke. Rang 999 they came and I was hypo! Got tested for signs of a stroke (I'm only 35) so they said it was unlikely, but got a full MOT and all came back clear. That really scared me. And now I get afraid if I'm left alone in my sleep. It's mad what hypos can do to us.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am 30 years diabetic I have had lots of bad hypos went away one weekend stayed in b&b fell out of the bed scared the lady that owned b&b went into coma ended up in hospital.I had another hypo where it just looked like I was drunk hopped my head full whack of the wall and fell lucky I was not alone.it happened again when I was at home on my own had glass of luvozade in my hand cause knew was going low but I fell hit front of my head of floor had big lump on it then had to crawl to kitchen to get more luvozade stayed on floor to I came round.one other time went low when I was pregnant fell and then woke up in hospital baby was fine so was I.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awful experiences ladies! Glad we're all okay!

@dex44lego9 I think we all do from time to time. I think we all think, I'll wait until the add break, or I'll just finish what I'm doing and go and treat it.
I guess it depends on the person and how much awareness they have. I usually have really good awareness and can feel it starting when I reach around 4mmol. I don't know what happened tonight!

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would like to know does anyone not want to except or give in that they are going low.

I often wake up low, know I'm low, but think ahh I will deal with it in a minute. I'll be ok. Or sometimes get a can't be bothered feeling - to sort it. But that's just the hypo giving me that feeling, so it takes a lot of effort to get up and do something about it sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Well I'm so glad Luke was home tonight. He's been on nights all week.

It started off as a usual night for us, bathed Holly and put her to bed in her Moses basket next to my side of the sofa until it's time for us to go to bed and then we carry her up. Then we cooked and ate dinner and then we sat down to watch a film.
Half way through the film I started to feel strange. Not hypo, just strange. I just put it down to tiredness. As time went by I started to feel worse and worse until I eventually decided to test my bloods to see if it was that.
I stood up, went extremely light headed and fell down on top of Hollys basket where she was sleeping!!! Thankfully Luke managed to dive across and grab it before she came crashing down to the floor :'(
He went and got my monitor for me and my bloods were 2.1!
A bottle of lucozade and a Coke later and I'm feeling better.
Miraculously Holly didn't wake at all!

20 years I've been diabetic for and I have NEVER EVER gone down. Not once. It's scary to think what could have happened.

What's everyone else's worst hypo been like?

I am so sorry for you, it sounds like a very frightening experience for you both, but thankfully not Holly!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A frightening experience @claire1991 but so pleased that you and your baby are fine.

Around 2 years ago I had a similar experience, sat down to eat my evening meal then suddenly felt sweaty and light headed, I quickly drank a party sized can of Coke which brought my levels back up but that was the closest I've been to not being able to treat a hypo myself, still don't know to this day why the hypo came on so sudden.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it happens, it happens quick when you pass out and there's almost no immediate recovery, usually when blood sugar falls fast, as in my experience a slower drop in blood sugar is usually recoverable.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my worst is about 15 years ago when i went to work one morning , clocked on and next thing I remember I was in an ambulance to hospital about 2 hours later.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
that's scary for you @claire1991 :eek: 2.1 is the lowest I've been on my meter while awake and I remember how awful I felt too. I'm glad you had some help and Holly slept through that.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my worst is about 15 years ago when i went to work one morning , clocked on and next thing I remember I was in an ambulance to hospital about 2 hours later.

How scary!!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that's scary for you @claire1991 :eek: 2.1 is the lowest I've been on my meter while awake and I remember how awful I felt too. I'm glad you had some help and Holly slept through that.

Thank you Mep, I can't believe she didn't wake up to be honest!
I don't think I've ever been lower than that and I hope I never will be again! Xx

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Mep, I can't believe she didn't wake up to be honest!
I don't think I've ever been lower than that and I hope I never will be again! Xx

Yeh, me either... I didn't like it one bit. Although I think I may go lower when I miss the night hypos as I take a lot longer to recover from those. But of course I will never know exactly how low I went because I either didn't wake or I only half woke up and went back to sleep. But the 2.1 is my lowest too during the day... I was spinning out with that for sure.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My worst one was at uni, woke up and for half an hour I was convinced that my dorm room was the entire world and that was all there was, quite funny looking back on it but not nice at the time! Also recorded my lowest reading at uni, 1.5, think I ate my entire fridge that time!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My worst..? I was about 9/10years old? Out cycling. Weak sweaty couldn't control my legs. Like spasms, feet kicking of the bike pedals. (I realize now I was starting to "fit".)
Lucky, I was just up the road so a down hill coast. (I had no control of the bike realy!)
Dropped the bike outside. Sort of kick/walked my way into the house (like a cross between John Cleese "silly walk" & shakin stevens.) Straight past some relatives visiting at the time. (With a focus on food.) & raided the cupboards.. Then put in an obliglatory appearance what seemed hours later...
This was 38 years ago. No BS monitors then, just a vague result pee test kit.

I never let myself get that far down the line ever again.. Or left the house without something in my pocket. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My girl had a hypo the other day. A sudden drop to 2.3 with no awareness. She only tested because dinner was nearly ready. She's been full of cold the past couple of weeks. We were warned that when poorly her levels would run high; hers always drop low! Trust my child to be difficult!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I think I'm the same @mahola in the few days before the cold starts I run high but then whilst it's there it seems as though I'm constantly hypo. I guess our bodies use more energy fighting these things than we realise. I hope your daughter recovers quickly from the hypo and it over her cold now xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My worst..? I was about 9/10years old? Out cycling. Weak sweaty couldn't control my legs. Like spasms, feet kicking of the bike pedals. (I realize now I was starting to "fit".)
Lucky, I was just up the road so a down hill coast. (I had no control of the bike realy!)
Dropped the bike outside. Sort of kick/walked my way into the house (like a cross between John Cleese "silly walk" & shakin stevens.) Straight past some relatives visiting at the time. (With a focus on food.) & raided the cupboards.. Then put in an obliglatory appearance what seemed hours later...
This was 38 years ago. No BS monitors then, just a vague result pee test kit.

I never let myself get that far down the line ever again.. Or left the house without something in my pocket. ;)

Goodness that sounds scary!!!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm the same @mahola in the few days before the cold starts I run high but then whilst it's there it seems as though I'm constantly hypo. I guess our bodies use more energy fighting these things than we realise. I hope your daughter recovers quickly from the hypo and it over her cold now xx

Yeh I seem to go high mostly with pain. But when I have migraines I can drop low which makes it hard for me to tell as my head is already bad with the migraine. It's dodgy anyhow. But I think we definitely do react differently to things.