Type 1

sarah88

Re: Type 1

Chloe, if you're on the iPhone app, just click on my name and some options will come up, click more, then choose see profile, then when that comes up, under my name it will say message :) only just worked that out myself.
I didn't talk to my school friends about it ever really, apart from when they wanted their blood sugars testing! I was in denial from diagnosis until I was probably your age, not healthy at all, for my diabetes or my emotions.
I've just gone on to a pump, which I find much easier, as I only really have to do one injection every 3 days now. Have you looked into a pump at all?
Sarah

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

It comes up now it didn't let me yesterday some reason might of cuz i only joined yesterday, and yeah I looked into it but I used to go to busy secondary school so I didn't want to get it as I was scared I will catch it ect but I might consider it when I start collage
Chloe x

Chloe x

sarah88

I was really worried I would catch it on door handles and everything else (I'm rather clumsy!) but I haven't done it at all, I've only been pumping a month or so but fingers crossed.

Do you ever tell anyone you're diabetic or do you keep it private all the time?
I started uni last year and wasn't sure about telling people etc, I usually let it come up in conversation and then just go from there. Just really casually drop it in and don't think anyone has really batted an eyelid!
X

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah that what I am worried about

No I don't really talk about it my mates know well the ones I hang out with just incase something happens, I don't like telling people cuz what happened in year 8 I used to get really upset about it when people talk about it so I don't really talk to anyone new about it which I am worrying about when I start collage and I meet new people

Chloe x

sarah88

Ahh, I am with you on the getting upset, it took me a long time to be able to talk about it without tearing up. When I was younger I would try and talk about it like it was just something I knew a lot about rather than something I had, something about not seeing myself in what I was describing really helped for me.
I always try and tell at least one person that's with me, for emergencies. When you get to college if you don't know anyone in your class you could always tell your tutor, or even have a note for them if you don't want to tell them in person.

Does your hospital or doctors have someone you can talk to about it? I really wish there was some sort of councillor in my diabetes care team when I was your age, I think it would have helped to deal with it much earlier on than I did.

Have you got a medic alert bracelet or anything like that?
X

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah i only used go cry cuz what happened at school in year 8

Yeah I go to someone to talk to I not saw her for nearly 4 weeks now cuz I am all busy with my exams, and yeah I will tell my tutor even though it on my recorders at school where they can go and look which they meant to do but they don't anyway and
I used to have a necklace when I was younger saying I was diabetes and what to incase I went low but someone robbed it I had about 3 and they all went missing or robbed, so my my, gave up buying them but I got a card which I carry round with me saying I am diabetic and it got my mum number on it

Chloe x