1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1diagnosis

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by hubb789, Apr 25, 2019.

1. hubb789

hubb789 · Newbie

Both my adult children have been diagnosed as type 1 my daughter 2years ago at 22 and my son recently at 30, they have different dad's and I have no relatives with diabetes, so my question is why have they both got diabetes? Is it genetic does it mean I'm a carrier or what, so confused

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think anyone can answer your question definitively, even the experts aren't, 100% certain.

The most common theory is that a virus of some description causes the immune system to malfunction.

Some people blame stress as a trigger and some like yourself consider genetic links as a possibility. There is also a class action happening in the US (or at least there was last year) in relation to drug induced diabetes.

Don't beat yourself up, there's nothing you could have done.

3. DylanM

DylanM · Member

Hey there. I was diagnosed at 22 with type 1 diabetes too (two years ago in fact). No family history. No real explanation. Even the docs were baffled as to why I had it.

Unfortunately, it happens. It's not your fault! My mum was exactly the same - wondering why, how, if there was anything that could have been done.

As the previous contributor said, don't beat yourself up about it.

4. hubb789

hubb789 · Newbie

Thank you but you know what us mom's are like! Can't help wondering if I'd done something different etc, I suppose just have to accept life's a ***** and get over it! Stay strong guys hopefully they will sort it one day

5. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is possible that in your genetic past there has been I'm finding after doing family history possible relatives who died young that sounded like they died from t1 being uncontrolled. I know my mom was the first known t2 in the family n I'm the first t1 on record.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook