Type 1s: Acceptable spike

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For those with a Libre or CGM have a look at this:
https://diyps.org/2016/07/11/picture-this-how-to-do-eating-soon-mode/
I find it works well - when I am organised enough to do it!

Thanks for sharing this. Never even crossed my mind to do a small bolus an hour before and then the remainder just before eating. Makes sense to me although would only be able to implement this plan for a small percentage of my Daughter's meals....and it is another dreaded injection.

I guess this is one of the things that a Pump can allow you do more easily.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That link looks really interesting, I definitely recognise that drop then spike graph! what would you do though if you were on target / slightly low in the run up to the meal? Less insulin in the run up to the meal? For example if you're 4 or 5 1 hour before a meal you (well i) wouldn't want to drop at all...

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That link looks really interesting, I definitely recognise that drop then spike graph! what would you do though if you were on target / slightly low in the run up to the meal? Less insulin in the run up to the meal? For example if you're 4 or 5 1 hour before a meal you (well i) wouldn't want to drop at all...
Im going to give it a go, but am curious as to how it might actually work. E.g. If I upped my basal a little would that have same effect of there being free insulin in the liver when tge carbs hit?