Type 2 after taking Champix???

Andy A

I was diagnosed type 2 among other things after taking Champix to stop smoking, I have also just read an article on Champix side effects and theres a very small mention on the possible link between the drug and onset of type 2, has anyone else experienced this?

Andy A

Theres a line on it towards the bottom in this article...

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/05/25/38637.aspx

I found more on it but didn't bookmark it so will dig it out later and post, the vultures are circling already, the lawyers are trying to sign people up for any possible class action that may go ahead in the US, think I'll sit back and watch this one, although it may be slightly more boring than watching test cricket :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The FDA also received 544 reports suggesting varenicline may be related to a loss of glycemic control, including many cases of weight loss or gain that could have alternative causes, but also identified numerous cases of symptoms and laboratory tests consistent with new onset diabetes.

OK thanks Andy. There are so many side effects to this drug it is a wonder it was released at all!!

HRA/CHM advice (from BNF)
Suicidal behaviour and varenicline

Suicidal thoughts and behaviour have been reported in patients taking varenicline. Patients should be advised to discontinue treatment and seek prompt medical advice if they develop depression or suicidal thoughts. Patients with a history of psychiatric illness should be monitored closely while taking varenicline.

Andy A

Although the amount of people affected (the 544 mentioned is in the US I think) is small by percentage the producers obviously wont admit any link to Diabetes, when I asked my doctors whether there was any link between taking Champix and the host of problems that ensued within the following 3 weeks the answer was merely " No, the manufacturers would report any such effects), yeah, me too if I had invested millions and was expecting a return of billions :lol:

Whilst going for one of the many blood tests I have had to undertake over the last 8 months I had the nurse (a locum from a neighbouring PCT) ask me if I had taken Champix as she was looking through my files, when I told her I had she sketchley told me of a patient in her PCT who had had similar symptoms to mine for the past 12 months after taking the drug, and that her PCT no longer prescribed it due to "concerns" but wouldn't elaborate further.

The problems I have personally had have included, apart from the diabetes, palpitations, visual disturbance, lightheadedness, Raynaud's Syndrome, a constant pain in my left pectoral muscle, chest pains, and stomach pains to name a few :shock: if this tablet is doing this to other people then it should be pulled from the market, as the Americans are starting to do...

Spiral

when I asked my doctors whether there was any link between taking Champix and the host of problems that ensued within the following 3 weeks the answer was merely " No, the manufacturers would report any such effects

Yeah, right :roll:

Most people don't report them and most doctors don't pass them on :? :(

Fortunately, there is a system (although not that well known) called the yellow card scheme where you can report side effects as amember of the public :D 8)

http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Andy A

Thanks for the link Spiral, I didn'y know it existed but had heard something about a yellow card scheme before vaguely, I've filled in the form, not that I expect it will do any good but at least I know that its been reported now, which to be honest is more than I trust my local GP to do these days...

Bob_M

Hi,

I have been diagnosed T2 in the last couple of months.... just after finishing a course of Champix....
I think I will blame the Champix instead of the abuse I have given my body over the years lol

Bob

Andy A

Bob_M said:
Hi,

I have been diagnosed T2 in the last couple of months.... just after finishing a course of Champix....
I think I will blame the Champix instead of the abuse I have given my body over the years lol

Bob

Maybe you missed my point (or not, its always hard to tell where a post is coming from, the written word doesn't always show the context in which a statement is meant to be read), less than a month prior to my diagnosis of diabetes amongst other things I had a thorough medical, including a fasting blood test which was work related and all came back negative, then after taking Champix for 2 weeks I was rushed into hospital on the 14th day, following which several problems have come to light which all stem from problems with receptors within the nervous system, Champix works by blocking off receptors (indiscriminately it appears from the literature I have read since).

Apart from smoking I would say I was pretty good in terms of health prior to this little episode, having not drank alcohol for over 3 years (and not in any great quantity for around 10 years), going to the gym 3 times a week, walking my 2 dogs for several miles a day and doing the normal footie with the kids etc etc after work, actually thinking about it despite only being 36 I was a sight more active than 99% of other kids parents I've met, except that git who always managed to beat me in the fathers day race on sports day :lol:

Bob_M

Hi Andy,

Please don't take my post the wrong way.
I was making a comment about my condition and state of mind rather than anyone elses.

I filled in the yellow card thig a couple of weeks ago but only recieved a registration email from them...

What happens next?

Ta

Bob

Andy A

As I said its sometimes hard to see what context a post was written in, but perhaps I should read the board when I'm not tired or stressed :lol:

As for the situation with Champix and its apparent link to Diabetes I guess the American or Canadian courts will decide whether there is any case to answer, which will no doubt be a long process, then if they decide there is a case there will be a gap until someone decides to take them through the British courts and then if their succesful its no doubt going to be a case of join the queue, as the world and their mother suddenly decide they have been affected by Champix, or not as the case may be... :mrgreen:

andy_hull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi

i am just finishing my 3 month course of champix, i am now diabetic, i think i will keep my last pack of champix for future reference

tomekpol

Hi Andy!

How do you know that Champix is a cause of your diabetic problems? Do you have obesity? Did you eat more during the course of Champix?

And the most important thing (to me) - did you quit smoking? If yes how do you feel as a former smoker? Did Champix help you to do this?

Regards
Tomek

Bob_M

Hi Andy,

welcome to our exclusive club lol..

I think dry mouth (commonly linked to giving up smoking) made me drink more and because it was May / June I tended to drink sodas or fruit juice this inturn flips the diabetes. An itch needs scratching and it gets itchier ...well you get the picture

I am 6 months quit now cant say feel fitter but definately a bit wealthier..

Cheers for now

Bob

Mel L

Hello,
I'm from Australia but we have Champix too. I decided to take Champix in order to quit smoking. I had been taking it for about 3 weeks when I began having bouts of excessive thirst and my vision became blurry. The thirst and blurry vision would come and go over the next year till my vision became so bad that I was wearing glasses to walk down the street. I finally went to see a doctor and told him that I thought I may have diabetes. He tested me and eventually I was diagnosed with Type 2.
My mother first mentioned to me that she felt the Champix had something to do with the onset of the type 2 and I just happened to search Champix and diabetes and this forum came up.
I suppose we will just have to wait and see. I just hope no one else gets diabetes in this way before we get a definitive answer.
There may be some class actions to come though.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks
There is quite a bit of consistance results on this post .
I wonder if this needs delved into and exposed (sounds very dangerious :( )
JF.

stacey891

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 among other things after taking Champix to stop smoking, I have also just read an article on Champix side effects and theres a very small mention on the possible link between the drug and onset of type 2, has anyone else experienced this?
Yes. I am 38yrs old, overweight but had many diabetes tests previously, none even showed pre-diabetes. I was on champex 3 or 4 weeks. I went into the emergency for unexplained vomiting. It turned out my liver was enlarged. (I don't drink) I stopped the champex and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I even asked if it had to do with the champex and was told no.

I also searched back then this is almost 2 years ago and didn't see much results. Someone else I knew around the same time as me who was type 2 controlled with metformin went on it and ended up insulin dependant. Which is the only reason it triggered the connection for me. I couldn't find much about it. But now a lot of search results when you search it.

Last edited by a moderator:

stacey891

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's interesting it seems like the 3-4 week mark for people when symptoms started. While I appreciate there is some responsibility based on our bodies ect... Excusing a drug from the effects it has by blaming the people, is not at all helpful nor is it responsible. Like I said I was tested regularly and my blood work was perfect. In fact my doctor's exact words were, from your test results you can not tell you are an overweight smoker. Slightly high bad cholesterol, and too low of sodium other than that all my tests, glucose, blood pressure ect were perfect. So while I appreciate I was likely heading in the direction eventually anyway, I can not help but see the direct connection between taking the champex and the diabetes. And no, I didn't get to even quit, because I had to stop it early.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I was going to ask for some so to aid my giving up the weed, but I think I'll keep puffing, mind its a bit late for me to develop diabetes I already have it,

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most interested in this. I have done the champix course twice. First time was 5 years ago, i quit for 8 months then went abroad and (foolishly) started the fags again. Last time was 10 months ago and I am pleased to report I am still off the fags, and have been abroad and resisted. I found that champix made me feel very sick, :meh: the only thing that relieved the sickness was sweets or squash. Diagnosed wiht type 2 march this year but think I have probably been diabetic for much longer. My Mum is on her 4th champix course and is type 2 and (I think) was diagnosed after her first course. Hmmmmmmm...............................:shifty: