Type 2 after taking Champix???

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took the pre runner on the NHS of Champix - zyban! I think the side effects of zyban were far more extreme than Champix but do not know if there was a link to diabetes? However I have had chest pains and visual disturbance on and of since them but have never made a link back to zyban. I will have to investigate. I took a 12 week course and the worst side effects were the inability to sleep and when I did the extreme night terrors. I have been given up smoking seven years on feb 18th. 40 a day at my worst.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting - hadn't seen this old thread until it was bumped up again.

Like you @gaz tred , I had a ghastly experience with Zyban - I thought I was having a nervous breakdown for the 10 days I was taking it. I also took 2 course of Champix, including the last quit about 3 years ago.

Wow, just wow about the connection to diabetes! But I definitely don't recall having any of the dramatic symptoms described by some of the posters above. I've always blamed my 2x prediabetic and final Type 2 diagnosis on the 20kg weight gain after quitting smoking. The first time was a counselling and cold turkey time without any medication at all.

Still - all in all - glad I'm not still smoking though I wish I'd known about the connection before I took it :banghead: