type 2 and coffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my grandfather has type 2 (i have type 1) and we both love coffee, but i'm worried about him because he doesn't really take good care of himself ("i'm old, i'm close to death anyway") and i don't know how coffee (with sugar free sweetener and powdered creamer) affects blood sugar. if this post makes sense....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the risk of being deleted may I ask, if you are old and close to death, how old is your Grandfather.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your place, I would check out the creamer.

Coffeemate lists glucose syrup as its largest ingredient, and has nearly 4 g carbs 'per 7g serving'.
When you look at the rest of the info, it claims you should get 30 servings out of a 200g tub.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=258120071

I would imagine it is VERY easy to put a lot more than a 7g serving into each cup, which will boost carbs 'invisibly' high.
Then if he drinks several cups a day...

The 'light' version of coffeemate is even worse with 5.5g carbs per 'serving'.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask why he uses powdered creamer? Is it because he doesn't have milk in and powder is more convenient or because he prefers the taste perhaps? I am just thinking that he would be better putting real cream in his coffee instead.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd think it would be the amount of coffees he drinks like that which may be a concern. If he has just one a day for example with those ingredients it wouldn't be as half bad as having several. I'm not sure what creamer is... some kind of milk powder? I'd probably be more concerned about what amount of sugar is going into the coffee than the milk or cream being used as that would likely be negligible unless he is making the coffee entirely out of milk or cream (my Nan used to heat a cup of milk in the microwave and make her coffees that way... she wasn't diabetic and had no weight on her though.... but if she offered it to me I'd say no).