Type 2 and Coronavirus

jwalker91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes, controlled by tablets. Do I need to self isolate and how long for?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes, controlled by tablets. Do I need to self isolate and how long for?

Unless you fall into one of the groups listed below (in which case you will have been, or will shortly be contacted), it is the social distancing rules that need to be followed, unless you have any symptoms, in which case you should self-isolate:
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
This is a link to the latest government guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-other

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ausssie here so our position is a bit different as we are having a significantly lower death rate as I understand.

That said if you are not self isolating (and I am not) everyone should take precautions. We have sanitiser at work and sanitise before and after each client . We sanitise our pens and don't use any one else's We sanitise the chair and table after each client etc. My personal feeling his that if I get it I will be more at risk, If I get it my levels will increase, my asthma may come back and I will go back to being a moderate to severe asthmatic. If we don't have enough medical facilities and I'm rural so we have less here I will die. I take it very seriously but also want to help my clients as we don't have any idea how long it will last. I've checked my will, As a lawyer the requests for wills have increased dramatically so take care everyone.

I believe if everyone takes care we will be fine. It will remind us all how we should generally behave- i.e. good hygiene and stay away from others if you are sick.

I suspect there will be a lower rate of flu this winter in Australia

Reactions: ianf0ster

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am absolutely terrified im loosing sleep with worry i have to work because i am nhs i work in a emergency control room with lots of people some of whoom have already been positive for covid 19 and off work , social distancing very limited then i read this link, i am type 2 with high blood pressure treated with tablets and overwight although i am loosing but this is only goig to add to my axiety hope the link opens some of you may have seen it, i cant find it on here, just so worrying
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...oN5xh0wM6fHwh-BKASEp7_q8QMHsBYfo5hS0PUp9EmEAQ

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am shielding (self-isolating without symptoms) because I have several conditions, each of which on their own do not put me into the shielding group but the combination might, ditto my steroids as the individual doses don't push me up but no one has been able to tell me if the cumulative impact of two different steroids should.
If I just had diabetes that is well-controlled and as I am not not morbidly obese (another covid risk factor) I would be less worried but still using loads of disinfectant and hand washing.

(I have asthma and diabetes plus I was under investigation to see if I have a heart condition but the test and clinic appointment were both cancelled.)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am absolutely terrified im loosing sleep with worry i have to work because i am nhs i work in a emergency control room with lots of people some of whoom have already been positive for covid 19 and off work , social distancing very limited then i read this link, i am type 2 with high blood pressure treated with tablets and overwight although i am loosing but this is only goig to add to my axiety hope the link opens some of you may have seen it, i cant find it on here, just so worrying
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...oN5xh0wM6fHwh-BKASEp7_q8QMHsBYfo5hS0PUp9EmEAQ
What's your blood sugar control like?

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's your blood sugar control like?
diagnosed in 2011 as type 2 on first test i was 80 on my HbA1c test but after that i was constant 50 53 or 52 i was doing well last year my husband nearly died and my yearly test was due amongst all of this going on i was highly stressed due to work and my husband and discovrerd he was type 1 at 69 and had pnemonia and in DKA he survived. Last year was the only really bad result i had in years but the doctor put me on another tablet and my next check is due soon so i am hoping to be back where i was i have also lost three stone still got to loose more but trying my best , the doctor however said stress or anxiety could not cause levels to rise reason she put me on another tablet so i am trying my best
Jan

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She is very mistaken! Stress and anxiety are common reasons for raised blood sugar levels.
What tablets are you on, and what was your last HbA1c?
last hbc was 80 just after my husband came out of hosptal last year about 8 months ago due my next test soon i am on telemasarten for blood pressure 40mg and a 20 mg metfomin 500mg 2 in morning and 2 in evening and the new one is Gliclazide 40mg tablets plus i work 12 hour rotating shifts
thanks jan

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Bluetit1802 stress and anxiety can have a big effect on your blood. sugar levels. I suspect it it causing many type 2s to have to be evermore careful carbs in the current stressful world situation.

It is always disappointing when the medical profession say something which is not correct. There may be some type 2s who are so well controlled that stress and anxiety don't have a major effect on their levels but I know it effects mine.I suspect also that people including doctors who have never suffered from anxiety really don't understand it very well.

Losing sleep can also effect your levels. It can also make general life much more difficult.

Take care off yourself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
last hbc was 80 just after my husband came out of hosptal last year about 8 months ago due my next test soon i am on telemasarten for blood pressure 40mg and a 20 mg metfomin 500mg 2 in morning and 2 in evening and the new one is Gliclazide 40mg tablets plus i work 12 hour rotating shifts
thanks jan

Do you know, and was it explained to you how Gliclazide works? It forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin. It can then cause hypos in certain circumstances. Please have a good read round about this drug, which is very helpful in keeping blood sugars down, but needs to be used with care and a lot of testing with your blood glucose meter if you are cutting right down on your carbs. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. Have you got your own meter?

It has been reported on this forum in several places that those with a high HbA1c like yours puts you in the high risk category. I am sorry if this alarms you, but is it possible to have a word with your boss and also your doctor?