Type 2 and eating fruit?

granny3boys

Hi, I hope you can answer some questions before I go and get a telling off from the practice nurse tomorrow.....

Typical day:
Start work at 7am: breakfast at 6.15am: Porridge with 8 raspberries (very bad but I rarely have a drink with my breakfast).
Teabreak 9.30am: some fruit (a few cherries, a nectarine or a peach) Glass of water.
Lunch 11.30 am: Fruit again: some more cherries, a few strawberries, a few raspberries with a 15 ml of fromaige frais or cremfraiche (sp?) and 1/2 sq grated 90% plain chocolate on the top for a treat! Glass of water
NO MEAL AS I GO HOME AT 2.30 AND HAVE AN EARLY TEA AT 5PM. (see 8am start)

Start work 8am: Breakfast at 7.15am: Porridge & 8 rasps.
Teabreak 9.45: Fruit (could be a mixture of above at teabreak or a banana and a nectarine) Glass of water
Lunch 1.30pm: Salad: some kind of oily fish (small piece of hot smoked salmon or peppered mackeral) 3 small tomatoes, cucumber, mixed leaves (rocket and pea shoots if possible) and NO dressing. Then I will have some more fruit, as tea break.
MAIN EVENING MEAL AROUND 6PM - could be anything from grilled veg (peppers, mushrooms, boiled green beans, asparagus, mange tout)with fish (either prawns, fresh tuna, grilled or boiled trout) with wholegrain rice or red rice. Or 2 small new tatties boiled (potatoes to posh folk, tatties in Scotland!). Or a grilled chop (very small lamb chop) venison from the freezer or chicken with tatties and lots of veg.

Off work: Breakfast from 8.30 - 10am as above
Lunch: Maybe a bowl of soup or a light meal .
Evening meal. As above.

My question is (finally!) am I eating too much fruit? I know that I have been bad eating time this last while as I had a cancer scare (got the all clear eventually) and had been comfort eating( toast and jam(homemade greengage jam to die for!), cakes, fried egg and mushrooms (wonderful!) chicken korma (my son-in-law makes a fantastic one!), puddings in a cafe etc. But hopefully I'm back on track again. Also I'd stopped testing my sugar levels as the practice nurse advised..... so how the h*ll can I tell what I should or should not be eating???? Have started to test again as from today.

I can't get to the local diabetic group as it always seems to meet on the night I'm on a late shift (forgot to put that in - I start at 2.30 and work to 10pm. So again have fruit at 5pm and on my teabreak around 7pm). A cooked meal at lunchtime around 1.30pm.

If I shouldn't be eating all that fruit, what can I eat?

Spiral

That much fruit, combined with all they starchy carbs you have as well would put me though the roof. I tied low GI for a while shortly after diagnosis and I spent most of my time confused. It was a lot of effort for little return in my blood glucose readings. I know some people manage their diabetes succesfully with low GI, but I could not do it. I low carb and have been doing that for some time.

A

Anonymous

Hi granny3boys,

I'm afraid I'm going to sound a bit like a broken record, but only you can answer that question. As Spiral says and for me too, that would be far too much fruit.

You have a meter so set aside a week of some proper testing and write everything down - what you eat, quantities and the your pre meal and +2hr levels. Only that will tell you your numbers and whether your body can cope with the fruit you're eating.

S

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
In my experience it'll be the fruit. I don't like berries of any kind, so eat apples, but I can only cope with 2 a day. I tend to have one mid-morning and then one mid-afternoon, especially if I am working. Eating fruit with my evening meal is an absolute no-no for me and I never ever touch a banana.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too much fruit for me, I also can't do apples,they spike me. I can get away with 4 or 5 blueberries, a couple of raspberries and 1 maybe 2 smallest strawberries, with some sugar free jelly and double cream. Now that's yummy! All other fruit for me is a no no.

I very low carb.

C

catherinecherub

granny3boys said:
Hi, I hope you can answer some questions before I go and get a telling off from the practice nurse tomorrow.....

Typical day:
Start work at 7am: breakfast at 6.15am: Porridge with 8 raspberries (very bad but I rarely have a drink with my breakfast).
Teabreak 9.30am: some fruit (a few cherries, a nectarine or a peach) Glass of water.
Lunch 11.30 am: Fruit again: some more cherries, a few strawberries, a few raspberries with a 15 ml of fromaige frais or cremfraiche (sp?) and 1/2 sq grated 90% plain chocolate on the top for a treat! Glass of water
NO MEAL AS I GO HOME AT 2.30 AND HAVE AN EARLY TEA AT 5PM. (see 8am start)

Start work 8am: Breakfast at 7.15am: Porridge & 8 rasps.
Teabreak 9.45: Fruit (could be a mixture of above at teabreak or a banana and a nectarine) Glass of water
Lunch 1.30pm: Salad: some kind of oily fish (small piece of hot smoked salmon or peppered mackeral) 3 small tomatoes, cucumber, mixed leaves (rocket and pea shoots if possible) and NO dressing. Then I will have some more fruit, as tea break.
MAIN EVENING MEAL AROUND 6PM - could be anything from grilled veg (peppers, mushrooms, boiled green beans, asparagus, mange tout)with fish (either prawns, fresh tuna, grilled or boiled trout) with wholegrain rice or red rice. Or 2 small new tatties boiled (potatoes to posh folk, tatties in Scotland!). Or a grilled chop (very small lamb chop) venison from the freezer or chicken with tatties and lots of veg.

Off work: Breakfast from 8.30 - 10am as above
Lunch: Maybe a bowl of soup or a light meal .
Evening meal. As above.

My question is (finally!) am I eating too much fruit? I know that I have been bad eating time this last while as I had a cancer scare (got the all clear eventually) and had been comfort eating( toast and jam(homemade greengage jam to die for!), cakes, fried egg and mushrooms (wonderful!) chicken korma (my son-in-law makes a fantastic one!), puddings in a cafe etc. But hopefully I'm back on track again. Also I'd stopped testing my sugar levels as the practice nurse advised..... so how the h*ll can I tell what I should or should not be eating???? Have started to test again as from today.

I can't get to the local diabetic group as it always seems to meet on the night I'm on a late shift (forgot to put that in - I start at 2.30 and work to 10pm. So again have fruit at 5pm and on my teabreak around 7pm). A cooked meal at lunchtime around 1.30pm.

If I shouldn't be eating all that fruit, what can I eat?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Without testing you will never know what you can and cannot eat.

The suggestion is that you are following a low G.I. diet but I do not think that is the case as anyone with Type2, regardless of how they control their diabetes, would not be eating the amount of fruit that you are without testing.

You ask what you can eat other than fruit and there are plenty of snack ideas that people have to satisfy your hunger without pushing your blood sugars up. You are using snacks as your lunch and you really need something more substantial. How about packing a salad with some protein, meat, cheese fish, eggs or some homemade soup in a flask. If you haven't tried it, some can tolerate Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, maybe one slice to start with and see how that goes with some protein.

Instead of the fruit for a snack, try a handful of almonds/walnuts or even a sugar free jelly. You can make these in little pots and they are quite portable.

Hope you can get this sorted and remember that the only way to gain control is to test, test, test.

CC