Type 2 and Hypos

Mimi

Hello

Can Type 2 have hypos?
I'm currenly experimenting with low carbing and have recently made some mistakes with low carbing and exercise e.g. 3.2 two hrs after a meal and (mild) exercise when I felt faint and shaky. I was due to go to bed, so could that have lowered further in the night?

Thanks
Mimi

Thirsty

Mimi, are you taking any medication? If so, you need to be cautious about low carbing. It's particularly important to make sure your BG levels aren't too low before going to bed, as night time hypos are dangerous.

Mimi

I'm diet and exercise only at the moment, so still finding my way. I think I'm being too cautious until I can find out what works for me. Most of my results are ok apart from when I go a bit off the rails and things are too high but that tends to be hormonally driven and I know when it's due.

A very low score was a surprise and it scared me. Is it right that people shouldn't go below 3.9?

Mimi

C

catherinecherub

Hi Mimi.
I am a type 2 on diet only. My threshold is 4.2. If I go lower than that I really feel as though it is a hypo. I become quite anxious and need to eat something. I read everywhere that readings between 4. and 7. are O.K. It is all trial and error and everyone being different.
Catherine

Mimi

Thanks for that. I guess that I just need to be as careful to avoid lower readings as well as high ones. When I was diagnosed a couple of years now the nurse said that type 2s rarely have the problem of hypos so don't even think about it (but then if you're eating rice, pasta etc at everymeal then I guess you wouldn't).

Thanks
Mimi

Thirsty

Mimi, the general opinion is that any reading below 4 is too low. As you're not on meds, it's very unlikely that you'll suffer a full-blown hypo, but it's still important that you eat sensibly. There's a big difference between low carbing and starving yourself to death!

The good news is that you're clearly capable of controlling the condition with diet and exercise only; I wish I could.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Mimi
Hypos are not exclusive to diabetics. Anyone can have one. The danger comes when they are caused by medicine in a diabetic, who may not have the mechanism to "get out unaided". Most non-diabetics will recover spontaneously and fairly fast. Since you are not taking a medicine which could endanger you,The risks are very small that anything nasty will happen. 3.7 isn't very low anyway. I know I can function perfectly down to 2.5.
What are your usual levels?
you may just be experiencing the feeling of "dropping". Within the range 3.5 - 7 that's ok

C

catherinecherub

Thanks for that Hana, Your posting reinforces that we are all different. People experience low blood sugars and the effect of low blood glucose at different readings.
Catherine.