Type 2 and newly pregnant

Sam'smummy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

First post here, I found out I was pregnant last week, I was already on Insulin as I had been to the pre pregnancy clinic my blood sugars are still high. I was up at the hospital today and was told my insulin would have to be increased again and night time insulin would have to be changed to lantus. My last pregnancy I was on novarapid and humilin I and by time i was over 7 months i wasnt on such a high dose as I am now and I am only a few weeks.

The Dr today made me feel pretty rubbish and said the difference is because i had put on a bit of weight. My doses now are novarapid 18 in morning 20 at lunch and 20 at night and the lantus is to be 28, right now I don't know how to feel or if I can do this again :( my husband tries to understand but just keeps saying I can do it. just feel hopeless and just keep crying. has anyone else been in a similar position?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're feeling so down @Sam'smummy A diabetic pregnancy is hard work, as you know. We all understand that. It's not easy, but it's very worth it!

I know it's a huge amount of pressure, worrying about keeping control of your blood sugar and coping with changing insulin doses.

Do you have a good DSN who can support you? Mine was lovely and really helped.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome to the forum, @Sam'smummy. I will tag @daisy1 because she has some advice for people new to the forum that she can post for you.

I'm going to assume the below advice for T2s generally would also apply for T2s who are pregnant but azure and others please let me know if that's incorrect.

After reading the below advice, I have decided that if I ever need insulin, I am going to ask for a treatment plan where I carb count for each meal and adjust the insulin dose accordingly. I would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php