type 2 and not got a clue!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. On metaformin and today was told to start glicazide. Whens the best time to take it? Also should i be checking my bloods more? I do them twice a day. Sorry still trying to find out what i should be doing. Thanks

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Margaret, welcome :)

And welcome to the wonderful world of not being told much useful by GPs and DNs.

The most important role of blood testing is in finding out what impact different foods have on you, so immediately before eating (not necessarily every meal) and 2 hours after starting. First thing in the morning can also be useful, especially if you experience significant liver dumping (dawn phenomenon).

What are you eating? If you are being put on Gliclazide I would guess you are following the DN instructions to reduce sugar but still eat carbs? Experience of many on here is that carbs are the problem and NHS dietary advice is rubbish.

Have a read of the first item linked in my sig below and ask any questions you want.

Reactions: 2 people

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
has your doctors put you in touch with the nurse that deals with diabetes so things can be explained to you as for Hb1c this is checking you blood sugar levels i do mine at random times every day to see if different times of day show if im high or low im still learning about it as well

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Hi Margaret, welcome :)

And welcome to the wonderful world of not being told much useful by GPs and DNs.

The most important role of blood testing is in finding out what impact different foods have on you, so immediately before eating (not necessarily every meal) and 2 hours after starting. First thing in the morning can also be useful, especially if you experience significant liver dumping (dawn phenomenon).

What are you eating? If you are being put on Gliclazide I would guess you are following the DN instructions to reduce sugar but still eat carbs? Experience of many on here is that carbs are the problem and NHS dietary advice is rubbish.

Have a read of the first item linked in my sig below and ask any questions you want.
My BS levels weren't going down thats why i started glicazide. Trying to cut out carbohydrates but not sure what i'm doing yet. I'll start taking the readings more often. Thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
has your doctors put you in touch with the nurse that deals with diabetes so things can be explained to you as for Hb1c this is checking you blood sugar levels i do mine at random times every day to see if different times of day show if im high or low im still learning about it as well
It's excellent that you are checking your blood glucose levels. That's a good start. However, you should also consider checking at specific times along with a few random checks.

This webpage gives pretty good instructions on when to check and what you should be aiming for:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

You should also consider keeping a log of what you ate, what time, as well as your blood glucose test results. You'll soon see patterns emerge (hopefully!) and come up with ways to reduce your blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 4 people