Type 2 and Sick Days

MrsPea

Hello Everybody,

I was diagnosed with T2 about 8 weeks ago.

Prior to this I had a few sick days, feeling extremely tired and achy etc. My Doctor sent me for tests and I was diagnosed. I have changed by Diet and am taking Metformin 500mg 3x a day (until recently).

Because of my Diagnosis, and sick days, I was sent to Occ Health, who confirmed that my absences leading up to my diagnosis where likely to be because of the Diabetes, and that I was more prone to opportune infections.

I have taken two days off, today and yesterday, due to severe stomach cramps and (toilet troubles). I had this when initially taking the metformin (2 tablets), which cleared up after a couple of weeks. However, my diabetes nurse suggested I start taking 3 tablet a few days ago, which cause these problems (nice bank holiday!). Yesterday, she suggested I go back down to two tablets.

I understand from reading this forum, which has been a massive help, that Diabetes (T1 and T2) are covered by the DDA.

I am hoping that I am not going to be in any trouble when I go back to work, as my absence is due to my Diabetes Medication.

My question is this... If I am pulled up on this, would it be suggestible to play the DDA card? I work for Local Government and they are quite carefull about these things.

I dont see myself as disabled, but don't want to be discriminated against for illnesses which would not occur if I wasn't diabetic.

Any advice is appreciated, as I said, I've only been diagnosed for about 8 weeks, and find all this a bit overwhelming. :oops:

Thanks

Lian.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you're perfectly entitled to time off at the moment. Diagnosis is a tough time for everybody! Just be aware that it DOES get better, and explain to your employer that you do not expect this level of sickness to continue.

Although T2's (with high BG's) are more likely to pick up bugs, a well controlled T2 is as likely as a perfectly healthy person to catch a bug. I'm T2 and haven't had a sick day (or been sick) for over 5 years - and my control is far from perfect (at the moment! :wink: )

Metformin is a beast of a drug if you can't handle it, and I had to stop taking it for the same reasons that you've mentioned. Ask 'em about the slow release version (called Glucophage XR) - it might give you less grief.

Dippy3103

I work in local gov too and had exactly the same thing happen to me. One of the reasons I actually went to see my gp and had the blood tests was because I was feeling so grotty and picking up every little bug going. My employer were ok about it once they knew there was a geniune reason and that it was short term ( I was rarely off sick prior to this). I didn't need to use DDA, they just accepted my explanation.
Do your place use the Bradford factor?

MrsPea

Thank you both for your replies, that made me feel a lot better!

We don't use the Bradford Factor, but we are referred to Occupational Health if we have more than 3 periods of absence in 6 months.

I had had 4 periods, but luckily checking today, two of the periods were just off the calendar, so I think I might be OK.

My manager is pretty understanding, but I was more worried about 'Policy' overtaking human compassion, as seems to happen. :)

Thanks again.