TYpe 2 and Test Strips

Kleinian2

Viv - I attach a copy of the NICE guidelines which you should show your GP. The GMC might like to know of GP's who refuse to obey NICE!

NICE Guidelines 8.1.5 R23

Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:

1. To those on insulin treatment
2. To those on oral glucose lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
3. To assess changes in glucose control resulting from
medications and lifestyle changes
4. To monitor changes during intercurrent illness
5. To ensure safety during activities, including driving

R24 further adds -

Assess at least annually and in a structured way:

1. Self-monitoring skills
2. The quality and appropriate frequency of testing
3. The use made of the results obtained
4. The impact on quality of life
5. The continued benefit
6. The equipment used.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
galgal said:
I feel bad about your post. The text strips are very expensive. Luckily for people in Ireland, once diagnosed with diabetes we are provided with a "long term illness book". Our GP writes in everything we need in relation to diabetes, - glucose monitor, test strips, pills, etc. Once written into the book we can go to any chemist and get these item free of charge. I don't know how I would be able to cope otherwise - I think 50 test strips here is about 40 - 50 Euro. I would have to re-mortgage the house.

That may be true in the south of Ireland, but up North we don't get test strips for type 2. I was at the diabetic clinic just today and talking with the diabetic nurse she said yes they will give you test strips, just ask the doctor. Asked the doctor when I went in and she said there is no way they can afford to give type 2's test strips for anything more than 1 - 2 tests a week!!!! With the advice and help I have received on this forum I have worked so hard in the 8 months since I was diagnosed to get where I am today, and I honestly feel like giving up where doctors are concerned.

louiseb

nirishdaisy said:
galgal said:
I feel bad about your post. The text strips are very expensive. Luckily for people in Ireland, once diagnosed with diabetes we are provided with a "long term illness book". Our GP writes in everything we need in relation to diabetes, - glucose monitor, test strips, pills, etc. Once written into the book we can go to any chemist and get these item free of charge. I don't know how I would be able to cope otherwise - I think 50 test strips here is about 40 - 50 Euro. I would have to re-mortgage the house.

That may be true in the south of Ireland, but up North we don't get test strips for type 2. I was at the diabetic clinic just today and talking with the diabetic nurse she said yes they will give you test strips, just ask the doctor. Asked the doctor when I went in and she said there is no way they can afford to give type 2's test strips for anything more than 1 - 2 tests a week!!!! With the advice and help I have received on this forum I have worked so hard in the 8 months since I was diagnosed to get where I am today, and I honestly feel like giving up where doctors are concerned.

daisy im from northern ireland and Im also am only prescribed 2 test strips per week which I know is better than none but it is nowhere near enough i regularly buy strips off ebay.
and yes I agree this site in fantastic in helping you gain control of bg but without testing I wouldnt know this so I guess ill have to keep buying strips I like to test once per day and more if im ill.

burnbrae

Hi all, I seem to live in an area where test strips are available on prescription. I ordered some One Touch Ultra this week and picked them up at my chemist and there were 3 boxes each containing 50 strips, so a total of 150 strips!. I am type 2 and have never had any problems getting strips. A while ago i realised i only had a few left and asked at a well know chemist for some and they were £25!!! i went to another and they were only £15...So i am glad i am not like the majority in here who are refused them. I was even given my meter by my Diabetic Nurse free.

smitha48

Hi All,

I'm recently diagnosed, currently diet controlled (to see how i get on!) and after seeing advice on this forum raised the 'test strip' matter with both my doctor and Diabetic nurse, letting them know the NICE guidelines. Both of these 'Experts' refused point blank to prescribe them. Though the nurse did say i could buy a meter and the strips myself as she didn't have a problem with me testing. I pointed out she couldn't actually stop me if i wished to do so!!She also went on to say that if it was her father sat in front of her she would tell him the same.

I am aware that this surgery will not prescribe them for people who are on meds either.

I presume this is throughout Cumbria, but if anyone out there knows better, please let me know, so i can raise it next time i see the nurse.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

tony :|

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 since 2008 and have just had my repeat prescription back from the dr and guess what test strips have now been refused nottingham area, seems to be the trend now days

Jenfy

I have been given a prescription for 2 lots of test strips and lancets per year. I got a free meter from SpiritCare with free replacement if it goes wrong and free replacement batteries and their strips are £12.50 for 50. I,for the moment am happy to buy the test strips in between prescribed ones but will be pushing for more prescribed.