Type 2, Depressive having a bad day, ECT or not?

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi All,
Yesterday I saw my GP and he said he thought I was improving all round. Today I saw the psychiatrist and he suggested ECT therapy. I must admit I've had a really low day today and that obviously came across. This suggestion comes out of the bag every so often from the psyc's as my mood doesn't go up much and each time I refuse it because I saw it done thirty years ago and it's pretty barbaric, but they reassure me its fine and not like that any more. But they won't let me see it to prove me wrong. So I say no, surely if it's as good and easy as they say then they would have no reason to keep it from me. No one understands why I refuse it as they think its my best option. But it's not them having it is it! I've tried joining a depression facebook site tonight for advise but it takes time I had to apply then wait to get accepted apparently. I know this is a diabetic site and I'm digressing from that but I have no where else to ask. As ECT has been stopped up and down the country by different Mental Health trusts but its still done here is a bit concerning to say the least. My family are no good, they don't understand any of it or what its like. I foolishly thought they would be more supportive with the diabetes as my mum was diabetic, admittedly she didn't care about it but they had had some experience of it, but no, I've come to the conclusion they don't have a clue or give a ****. My friends well, as some of you might know from previous posts I've been having problems with them to just lately. So rightly or wrongly? I thought I'd ask you all, does any one have experience with ECT and what it is like, would you recommend having it or not? I agree with the psyc's I can't keep being like this and the tablets don't do a lot. I've tried different ones with little effect. This is probably unfair of me, sorry in advance if I shouldn't be posting this. But diabetes and depression is linked and I guess I just hope that some one will be able to help me and you won't take offence at my post, none is meant.
Thank you All in advance.
Maggie/Magpie

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maggie

I've been through the depression mill & I know what it can be like.....never had to go to the extent of ECT but I know how desperate it is possible to feel when you are down.

Did a bit of googling, and managed to find the following:

Here
Here
Here
Here

and
Here

.....a variety of responses but might be enough information to reassure you?

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.....

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Maggie/Magpie I don't think this is the wrong place to ask for advice at all.. like you said there's a link between depression and diabetes. Whatever you decide to do I wish you well. Hopefully there will be someone with more experience than I to help you.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I have not had ECT but I have had the opportunity to be scrubbed in for one as part of my training. It is done under a general anesthetic which has it's own risks. ECT is a medically induced seizure using drugs and and electrical pulse through the brain. I personally would not have it done but a small number of people get symptom relief from it. As I followed the person before, during, and after the procedure I did note that they were very spacey and lethargic for hours after and there were some memory issues. I think some intensive research would be in order for anyone considering this.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Maggie/Magpie , I was hospitalised with mental health issues caused by an undiagnosed-for-far-too-long thyroid condition fifteen years ago. The treatment I was initially given (tablets) had had no effect, and I ended up an acute psychiatric patient sectioned under the Mental Health Act under dramatic circumstances.

I had a course of ECT, and this happened weekly for ten weeks.

It was considered by my consultant psychiatrist, and everyone involved in my treatment and care, including my family, to have been a success. I agree with this entirely. It DID work for me.

I wish I hadn't had to have it. I didn't like it. But I'm glad I had it. Because it worked.

Immediately after each treatment I was very confused and had trouble thinking, probably until the next morning. Longer term I feel that it affected my memory in the whole names-to-faces kind of scenario - but those are the only things.

The whole idea of ECT, as a 'thing', sounds extraordinary, and some might consider the notion of it barbaric. Me too. But it worked for me. Had there been a tablet, a course of talking therapy, an injection, to improve my condition, then by golly I would have chosen that. As it happens, I didn't have a choice, due to not having capacity.

I'm rambling - I'm sorry. I don't go 'back there' often and talk about it. This is difficult to write.

@Maggie/Magpie I'm not recommending you to not have it, and I'm not recommending you to have it. In my case, it turned my condition around. But I didn't like it.

Love Snapsy

PS Can I have a hug please? xxx

(edited - it was longer ago than the twelve years I'd previously put)

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Maggie

I've been through the depression mill & I know what it can be like.....never had to go to the extent of ECT but I know how desperate it is possible to feel when you are down.

Did a bit of googling, and managed to find the following:

Here
Here
Here
Here

and
Here

.....a variety of responses but might be enough information to reassure you?

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.....

Thank you Deespee23,
I've had a look at the research you done on my behalf, very mixed response really, some good some bad. For and against seems to be about fifty fifty. I guess at the end of the day its my decision but that's something I'm not good at making. Concerned about the obvious memory loss, mines shot already don't need to loose any more. Will keep considering!

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Maggie/Magpie , I was hospitalised with mental health issues caused by an undiagnosed-for-far-too-long thyroid condition fifteen years ago. The treatment I was initially given (tablets) had had no effect, and I ended up an acute psychiatric patient sectioned under the Mental Health Act under dramatic circumstances.

I had a course of ECT, and this happened weekly for ten weeks.

It was considered by my consultant psychiatrist, and everyone involved in my treatment and care, including my family, to have been a success. I agree with this entirely. It DID work for me.

I wish I hadn't had to have it. I didn't like it. But I'm glad I had it. Because it worked.

Immediately after each treatment I was very confused and had trouble thinking, probably until the next morning. Longer term I feel that it affected my memory in the whole names-to-faces kind of scenario - but those are the only things.

The whole idea of ECT, as a 'thing', sounds extraordinary, and some might consider the notion of it barbaric. Me too. But it worked for me. Had there been a tablet, a course of talking therapy, an injection, to improve my condition, then by golly I would have chosen that. As it happens, I didn't have a choice, due to not having capacity.

I'm rambling - I'm sorry. I don't go 'back there' often and talk about it. This is difficult to write.

@Maggie/Magpie I'm not recommending you to not have it, and I'm not recommending you to have it. In my case, it turned my condition around. But I didn't like it.

Love Snapsy

PS Can I have a hug please? xxx

(edited - it was longer ago than the twelve years I'd previously put)

Hi Snapsy
I got the impression it was difficult to post so thank you for your honesty.
Can I ask do you still have problems with depression?
Maggie

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Touch wood, no, @Maggie/Magpie . Have had two blips after that, which were related to thyroid medication and a contraceptive pill respectively, but those things were then tweaked and I've had no issues since.

Let me just say though, I was very, very poorly indeed with the depression in 2001. I had the ECT while I was an inpatient for nearly half of that year. It worked, but it was a long process. It took several years to get over it completely.

ECT wasn't an instant fix, but it started the getting better process. Which antidepressants and antipsychotics and treatment for my completely overdriven thyroid hadn't.

xxx

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Touch wood, no, @Maggie/Magpie . Have had two blips after that, which were related to thyroid medication and a contraceptive pill respectively, but those things were then tweaked and I've had no issues since.
Let me just say though, I was very, very poorly indeed with the depression in 2001. I had the ECT while I was an inpatient for nearly half of that year. It worked, but it was a long process. It took several years to get over it completely.

ECT wasn't an instant fix, but it started the getting better process. Which antidepressants and antipsychotics and treatment for my completely overdriven thyroid hadn't.

xxx

You mentioned thyroid problems being an issue. My GP is questioning hypothyroidism as my bloods were raised to 6.9 two months ago. I've got to have a repeat blood test next thursday to see if it was a fluke or has gone up further, if it has then he's proposing giving me some thyroxine to compensate. I'm hoping it is this which is dragging me down even further than usual as I've read that it is possible for thyroid and depression to go hand in hand.
Maggie