Type 2 diabetes and hypo unawareness research

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

I am a trainee psychologist interested in conducting research into type 2 diabetes and hypo unawareness. I aim to do this by interviewing participants to ask about their experiences. It is hoped that this research can inform services.

I am wondering whether you feel that this would be potentially useful research and whether you have any ideas of what questions would be useful for me to ask during the interview.

I really appreciate your help and feedback.
Thank you :)

Reactions: 2 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Hi all,

I am a trainee psychologist interested in conducting research into type 2 diabetes and hypo unawareness. I aim to do this by interviewing participants to ask about their experiences. It is hoped that this research can inform services.

I am wondering whether you feel that this would be potentially useful research and whether you have any ideas of what questions would be useful for me to ask during the interview.

Are you sure that you mean type 2 and hypo unawareness?

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you sure that you mean type 2 and hypo unawareness?

Yes. I know it is less common in those with type 2, but still occurs and as type 2 receives little attention in the literature currently, myself and my supervisor felt it would be useful to focus on it.

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi.

I think your research will be valuable as many T2 diabetics are not aware that they can have hypos and neither are some nurses or doctors and often say if you take metformin you won't have a hypo. I have had hypos as I take gliclazide and I also take metformin.

Questions that could be asked;
1, What are the signs that you may be having a hypo?
2, Do you know what you should do?
3, What can you do to prevent having a hypo?

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
I don't believe I get hypos, but I certainly get "ratty" when my levels are starting fall, or I think they are, as I don't test. I can think of questions around how people feel, whether they test, whether they are "afraid" of hypos, etc

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree it will be a very useful study.

I am T2 and had a seizure few years ago as I was taking gliclazide. As mentioned before it can cause hypos.

It is true that Metformin is unlikely to cause hypos. As the drug works differently from gliclaIde.

I am testing my BG far too much as I really worry of getting a hypo.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Hi, I am a T2 - as yet on no meds - and moderate exercise. I am well controlled.

And yet I sincerely believe I had a hypo recently (even though they say that T2s will not have this if not on meds).

It was a local holiday here (Denmark), and I was - in the morning - walking towards the tank station (open) to get some provisions. Coming nearer, I became severely dizzy, sweated profusely, and was glad to find a bus shelter just opposite the tank station). I tried to get up several times to cross the street, but just couldn't leave the bench.

My thinking was totally fuzzy. Had I have been clear in my mind, I could easily have hauled one of the many bicyclist hurtling past on this holiday day. They would surely have had some hydration or 'sugar' along.

I felt totally helpless in the situation. Hadn't brought my cell phone along - only a small outing.

After about two hours on the bench, I 'accosted' an elderly lady and asked her to help me over the road. She commented on how much I was shaking when I took her arm. - I went straight then for a sugary drink - and after that I could walk home again.

So my reminder to myself now is:

- to always bring my cell phone

- to always make sure that I am well hydrated before going out

- to always have glucose tablets about me.

Hope you can use this.

annelise

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree it will be a very useful study.

I am T2 and had a seizure few years ago as I was taking gliclazide. As mentioned before it can cause hypos.

It is true that Metformin is unlikely to cause hypos. As the drug works differently from gliclaIde.

I am testing my BG far too much as I really worry of getting a hypo.

Hi PSS

I test my bg quite often usually before and after breakfast and before and after my evening meal. How often do you test yours?

I find that since testing on a regular basis I have had better control of my bs and can adjust what I am eating.

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi PSS

I test my bg quite often usually before and after breakfast and before and after my evening meal. How often do you test yours?

I find that since testing on a regular basis I have had better control of my bs and can adjust what I am eating.

I test in the morning and also few times during the day especially if I feel I need to !

I have been told I am testing too much :-(