Lunaray

I have a question about the coronavirus, it was said that people that have diabetes are at high risk, up to 10 times more likely for it to be fatal.

My mum has type Type 2 diabetes and very high blood pressure, hypertension, arthritis, thyroid problems and obesity. Is there anything that she can do in the situation to get support and not go to work as she is high risk. Or what could you recommend?

Lunaray

Plus I am unsure what that means for me or anyone else who has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic?
It was said that COVID-19 can make you diabetic and I’m guessing that that would mean that people who are pre diabetic are more inclined to be effected by this as this seems to make sense. Thoughts?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a type 2 I am managing my blood levels with low carb eating, which also helped me lose lots of weight. I am not eligible for shielding support (no letter from the gp) so I minimise my outings around people as much as I can and am rigorous about social distancing and hand hygiene etc. So checking if she has got a letter would be the first step.

The most proactive thing either of you can do is get good diabetic control. Most of us in here do that by eating only a few carbs (Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, grains of all sort including porridge, flour and cereals etc) and replace them with more fats and proteins. Have a look at the links in my signature below for full details. Come back and ask questions once you’ve read a bit about it.