type 2 diabetes

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had pneumonia last year and was seriously ill with clots on the lungs etc and was on high doses of steroids for 8 weeks during this time my blood sugars went seriously high 33 being the highest reading, It took me several months to taper withdrawal from steriods. On having a blood test it was declared that i had prednisone induced diabetes and hopefully it will resolve itself, buy hey hoe it hasnt so now i have diabetes and have to get on with it. Ive reduced my carbs and radically changed my diet to include more veg based carbs and healthy stuff like greek yoghurt beriies hummus cottage cheese etc more water etc. But now im still struggling with extreme low bs and extreme high bs i try to eat something small every 3/4 hours im losing weight but im constantly exhausted and constantly constipated i just know what to do pls any suggestions

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hello and welcome to the prednisolone club, I am on prednisolone for life along with a raft of other nasty drugs. My experience with prednisolone is that it plays havoc with your appetite and makes controlling your blood sugars very very difficult.

You say you are now not taking prednisolone, which is a help. Give time a chance and perhaps things will settle down.
I think you need to find a proper diabetic doctor, not a GP or even worse a nurse who doubles as a diabetic nurse.
The NHS is going through a massive rethink on recommend treatment of diabetes, I hope you find a diabetic doctor that is aware of the changes. This forum and other forums can and will help, each case is unique.
Good Luck.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the prednisolone club, I am on prednisolone for life along with a raft of other nasty drugs. My experience with prednisolone is that it plays havoc with your appetite and makes controlling your blood sugars very very difficult.

You say you are now not taking prednisolone, which is a help. Give time a chance and perhaps things will settle down.
I think you need to find a proper diabetic doctor, not a GP or even worse a nurse who doubles as a diabetic nurse.
The NHS is going through a massive rethink on recommend treatment of diabetes, I hope you find a diabetic doctor that is aware of the changes. This forum and other forums can and will help, each case is unique.
Good Luck.
Hi thanks for your reply and kind words yes maybe it will settle down but its been a year now and no luck yet but if i have it i will deal with it, I saw my own doctor who advised me to try and control it with diet (no **** sherlock) and a nurse who doubles as a diabetic nurse put it this way i know more about diabetes and diet than she does which is not a lot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply and kind words yes maybe it will settle down but its been a year now and no luck yet but if i have it i will deal with it, I saw my own doctor who advised me to try and control it with diet (no **** sherlock) and a nurse who doubles as a diabetic nurse put it this way i know more about diabetes and diet than she does which is not a lot.

The lowest carb foods are fish and meat along with eggs and dairy.. you don't mention those much..?

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lowest carb foods are fish and meat along with eggs and dairy.. you don't mention those much..?
Hi your right i didnt mention these foods but yes i have fish chicken beef on alternate days normally with veg or salad i have yoghurt and fruit for breakfast and i snack on nuts and celery and peanut butter. Yes im losing weight but im 9stone 5 so im not really overweight i do still eat 2 slices of wholemeal bread for lunch at work with healthy fillings im just so tired all the time and very constipated but i suppose that could be the change in diet. Im due to have surgery soon im just concerned that my diabetes is not controlled. i have a very active job working with special needs kids so im constantly on the go, im just so confused . sorry for the ramble

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Here goes and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this so far, but maybe if you tested 2 hours after every meal and inconjunction with a food diary you will get an idea of what raises your blood sugars. You only need do this for short period of time.
What works for some doesn't for all.
Exercise plays a huge part in my blood sugars and exercise can be anything that involves movement to the extent I have to modify my medication if I'm going to be active. Perhaps and only perhaps this might be a contributing factor.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here goes and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this so far, but maybe if you tested 2 hours after every meal and inconjunction with a food diary you will get an idea of what raises your blood sugars. You only need do this for short period of time.
Exercise plays a huge part in my blood sugars and exercise can be anything that involves movement to the extent I have to modify my medication if I'm going to be active. Perhaps and only perhaps this might be a contributing factor.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats great thanks

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou