Type 2 diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you do need a glucose meter. One of these can tell you instantly what your meal choices are doing to your blood sugar levels, giving you the opportunity to tweak your diet. Unless you are on a glucose lowering drug (Metformin is NOT one of these) you will most likely be told you don't need to test by your nurse/GP, but how else are you going to manage your diabetes without one? The vast majority of us T2s self fund our meters because they are the only tool we have, and are important.

AshleyEatly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to agree - since joining the low carbohydrate program - my belief that unless you measure - how are you going to know what your body is reacting to etc. I am ‘in type-2 remission’ as my hb1ac is 44 with the boundary being 48. But after years of being told I have was pre-diabetic and the solution was to lose weight - that is - not being given any help and guidance by my surgery. I now find that my life has changed because My have painful neuropathy in a big way… and it’s likely to have been all those years in pre-diabetic state (with exercise dropping over covid and covid related breathing issues).
Even since being tipping over into type 2 and then back down again - after realising normal advice from nurse and GP was not helpful - and counter productive - I now have gone low carbohydrate (ignoring the typical normal NHS idea of what constitutes balanced healthy eating and all of need to do is lose weight - well I did that - done that - and it never got me out of pre-diabetes) - so now low carb - aiming for Keto - but self funding my blood testing… as all I get is an unhelpful why? why? why? I would frankly go all out scientific and get constant monitoring but at £150 per month for 2 sensors - I need to balance the books.
The only tool we have is finger pricks and glucose meters - apart from stringent note taking and analysis…
I feel an app coming on to track my neuropathy , leg strength, perception of issues and track vs glucose levels, food choices etc.
The body especially in relation to insulin resistance is not simply a machine that understands what I believe is the cause of the western insulin concern - where it’s calorie deficit - low fat - eat less exercise more - reduce sugars - regime.. more people are becoming insulin resistant and having residual sugars despite believing they are fit and eating healthily. Sorry preaching over..
Measure
Measure Measure and learn about your body.