Type 2 Type 2 diabetic with anemia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all i am type 2 diabetic and just found out I am anemic and been place on iron and folic acid tablets but the iron tablets are sugar coated is there anybody else in this situation
Thank you John

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

Sorry to hear about the anemia; I hope the course of tablets bring your iron levels up soon. How many are you taking per day?

I wouldn't have thought there would be much sugar in the coating to have much effect on your BGL. It would be best to ask your GP about this though. 10g carbohydrate (around 2.5tsp of sugar) would typically raise your BGL by around 2 or 3mmol/L. I don't know how much sugar they rap around these tablets but I wouldn't have thought it would be anything close to this.

Grant

Ashka9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are capsules also available for Iron, folic acid and Vit. B12 combination. Just check if it is available where u stay. I have the same problem of anemia together with Type2 diabetes and have started taking capsules where Iron is 300 mg/capsule

C

catherinecherub

There are capsules also available for Iron, folic acid and Vit. B12 combination. Just check if it is available where u stay. I have the same problem of anemia together with Type2 diabetes and have started taking capsules where Iron is 300 mg/capsule
It is better to get any supplementation that you need from your G.P. as you will get the correct dosage rather than relying on OTC ones.
The OP is being treated by his G.P.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I don't know how many iron tablets you need to take, but i suspect the sugar used will be a very small amount.

Can i ask if your doctor has discussed how anaemia can affect the HbA1c test, giving unreliable results?
Have they offered you and alternate test with higher accuracy, usedful for diabetics?