Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
gezzathorpe said:
IanD said:
gezzathorpe said:
Ian, can you specify for me a breakfast and lunch I should have tomorrow so I know I am following you recommendations. You know, what, how much etc..... thanks. I was thinking 2 kippers for breakfast, chicken breast for lunch and pork loin for dinner. Is that enought fat & protein? I will add carbs to make up 30%

My daily b'fast is a nut porridge:
Total of 50 g of - ground almonds, coconut flour (or desiccated c'nut), and flax seed mix
That will provide about 25 g fat, with a further 25 g carb, protein & fibre.
I normally make it with boiling water, and m'wave for about 1 minute to thicken it. Fell free to use milk, and bring to the boil to chicken. Use a glass jug as it will boil over! I add about 10 ml double cream.

It's a long time since I had a kipper - suggest you top them with butter.
I sometimes have a two egg omelette, cooking bacon first and pouring in the beaten egg when its ready.

Lunch - about 150 g lean meat (chicken & pork loin are fine) and boiled veg - carrots, parnips, onions, green beans, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, cooked in water with a stock cube; when the veg are cooked, stir in a cup-a-soup
Cook the meat by frying both sides in lard, butter or veg oil - then if you wish transfer to the grill - the oil/fat prevents it drying out, - or transfer to the veg mix.
pour the gravy into a mug to drink as soup - it avoids thickening.
As a carb substitute I make a cake with the same nut powders, eggs, butter and olive oil, to eat with my meal (it absorbs gravy) or as a nutritious snack. That's optional, but handy. I bake it 3 times a week.
It you want a sweet, berries and or low sugar jelly with cream.

For an evening meal, I have salad with cheese or ham.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I had already planned my day's food by the time I got round to reading this. I have completed one day.

This is not aimed at you personally in any way, but I was prepared to volunteer to switch my diet to a low-carb diet to see what difference it made and to publish my results. I thought that it was bold of me, as a 'diabetes resolved' person, to take a degree of risk in the hope that other T2 people may be interested in the results since we are all reliant on 'dubious' facts and figures from the internet and other media etc.

It has become clear to me that there is strong disagreement between people within the T2 'low-carb fraternity' and some people on this site have told me one thing publicy whilst saying another in private. They have even tried to ridicule me because I have achieved what they are unable to. What is their motivation to do this? I have no idea. I'm afraid I cannot afford to continue this experiment in these circumstances. So I am reverting to the diet and lifestyle which has stood me in good stead.

I wish all T2 'low-carbers' well in their quest to improve their well-being, free of bG testing and meds etc. if that is their aim.

I am happy to continue chatting with anyone privately if they wish provided that anything that is said in private remains private.

Gezzathorpe .

It was a nice gesture from IanD to put the above post and food options/support for you .

You can/should choose what suits you etc
It is your everyday routine that you live and choose to do .

Whatever gets said in any PM's should/must remain private ...

However - any differences between any members is down to each person own opinions
view/take on things etc.
Best to accept this as such - keeping to a more positive and productive approach .

No dictating or segregation of carb restriction to bulldoze or manipulate others .
Creating a them and us - scene and setting .
Within certain diabetes type's - will be tolerated here .

It is preferred and more positive to be done as a supported suggestion :)
(such as IanD has done in the post above for you)
Each member has the right to their own 'free' choice as an individual person .
We support and help others extremely well here - and wish for it to remain as so .

Thanks Anna .

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite a difficult decision to change a dietary regime that you know is working for you, or is working for now at least. I know that I'm still finding my way as someone who is pre-d and not a diagnosed T2. I also know that my risk factors are not the same as the typical T2 either and I also have a pre-existing disabling illness to factor in to my overall dietary and lifestyle management. Bearing in mind we all differ in the amounts of carbohydrate we can metabolise, whether we are pre-d and can hopefully "reverse" the progression, or at the other end of the spectrum where insulin becomes necessary.

I commend Ian for his suggestion and I would have been interested in Gezza's progress had he chosen to follow a different regime for a few days or a week or so, but ultimately it's a big decision when it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Regardless of information out there online, a lot of the "science" is dubious and "proof" is tenuous. It's difficult to sort out the information from the disinformation, and the facts from the polemic. So much of what "works" to reverse or mitigate T2—according to various studies—almost always involves weight loss and/or overweight/obese participants, from the Newcastle Diet to the LCHF diet which helped obese/overweight diagnosed T2 patients in the short term. What works may all depend on what point you are diagnosed and what your risk factors are, not necessarily how many grams of fat or how much coconut oil you consume—but if that works for some, fine.

No need to keep away, Gezza. We need all shades of opinion and experience.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Dont go, Gezza, I like you :'(

I had a nasty false hypo last night that seemed exactly identical to the real ones I had months ago. Woke up at 4 am feeling shaky, dizzy, heart racing etc and threw up, then ate something and tried to go back to sleep

I had an intense pole dancing lesson today and my reading was a bizarre 4.9. So I thought yep, the heat is definitely keeping my numbers down which is good, right? So thought I could chance a small slice of pizza I the light of all this controversy about the efficacy of preaching all this lo carb business.

2 hours later 8.5, 3 hours later 10.5

Better than teens but I still have a headache as a result :(

Am I ever going to find a stable level or what. Thought the exercise would keep things down.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the exercise was probably responsible for your 4.9, assuming it was after the class but before you ate. People report that exercise brings the numbers down, as the glucose is used up by working the muscles. So, your reading makes sense.

A lot of people report a delayed response to pizza, presumably it's the fat and protein in it that delay the digestion of the carbs—but don't quote me on it. I never eat pizza, but I've had a slight elevated response to wholewheat pasta at 3 hours, which some people have also reported. Don't know if it's a low GI/slow carb release thing or not.

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
Dont go, Gezza, I like you :'(

I had a nasty false hypo last night that seemed exactly identical to the real ones I had months ago. Woke up at 4 am feeling shaky, dizzy, heart racing etc and threw up, then ate something and tried to go back to sleep

I had an intense pole dancing lesson today and my reading was a bizarre 4.9. So I thought yep, the heat is definitely keeping my numbers down which is good, right? So thought I could chance a small slice of pizza I the light of all this controversy about the efficacy of preaching all this lo carb business.

2 hours later 8.5, 3 hours later 10.5

Better than teens but I still have a headache as a result :(

Am I ever going to find a stable level or what. Thought the exercise would keep things down.

I'm still here ... it's nearly dawn but I fell asleep on the sofa after my first three-course restaurant meal in ages and I'm now wide awake. I made sure I had hazelnuts in my profiteroles to reduce the GI. :***:

I have found, personally, that my bG reading is behind how I am feeling. I have often sensed a stage 1 hypo coming on even though my bG reading seemed OK. Ten minutes later, et voila! my bG is in the 3s which is the range in which I experience stage 1 hypos. So, I go with the feeling rather than wait the 10 minutes to see whether the stage 1 hypo was real or false (I assume that a false hypo is where the bG level looks normal but the symptoms are there?). Either way, I resolve the feeling with food but I appreciate that others cannot necessarily do the same without knowing what bG level they are dealing with. The point I am trying to make is that, with me, my meter readings lag behind the symptoms. No one else seems to have noticed this, so it probably unique to me, or maybe I am finely tuned to symptoms after 40+ years of frequent stage 1 hypos (or false ones).