Type 2 Type 2 Evening hypos?

Knitnpurl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My husband has Type 2 (diagnosed several years ago). Recently a new GP at our surgery 'poached' him from the Diabetic Nurse clinic as part of her 'study set' for some research.. During the last few months she has become determined to bring his readings down to the extent that she has continually increased his insulin dosages to far greater levels than ever. He's been experiencing a number of evening hypos from time to time over the last few weeks. This GP has now left the surgery and a few days ago hubby went back to see the Diabetic Nurse, with whom he has built up a good relationship. She took note of his hypos - but suggested reducing his insulin in the mornings!? Yesterday and this evening he has had hypos (down to 2.4, and 4.3 respectively) each time about 3 hours after his evening meal. Luckily he recognises what's happening and can respond.

My question is: if he's having evening hypos, how does reducing insulin the morning after help matters???

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sorry to appear pedantic but clinically a hypo means being below 4.0mmol/L.

What type of insulin is he on and how often?

Knitnpurl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
urbanracer - I know 4 is the threshold level, but he was experiencing the sweats and shakes etc. which prompted him to do a test. The worrying thing is that it's happened two nights in a row; previously he's only had these episodes occasionally ( and only within the last few months - I can't say exactly if it was only within the time frame he was a 'lab rat' for this GP!)

He's on Novomix pens but I'm not sure how the units are measured - he has been told to have 54 in the morning, 60 in the evening (does that make sense? He looks after his meds himself - I'm just the one who's trying to keep him on the straight and narrow diet-wise, although he can be a law unto himself when he out and about and beyond my influence!)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Novomix 30 or 50?

54 and 60 units are amongst the higher doses I've seen in these forums. Has your husband lost weight since the start of the process? It might be that he doesn't need quite so much insulin.

How many grams of carbohydrate does he eat per day?