Type 2 - Exersise - am I doing enough or to much?

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Hi,
Might seem a daft question but as I've said before not to old to learn. I'm 61 yrs old, type 2 for 11yrs and on diet & meds. at the moment. Just joined a local gym (3 months ago and go 3 x a week). I spend about an hour there run for 2.5 Km do 2,000m on the rowing machine, do a few weights on machines in circuits, then finish with another 1.5 Km. I'm getting seriously bored then read in a mag. that walking at a 'brisk' pace for 38 mins. is the equivalent to a 15 min. run! I already walk an hour a day at w/ends and before I went to the gym I used to walk the beach 3 x a week for an hour each time sometimes up to an hour and a half. When I walk these 'walks' I always walk 'fast'. My question after all this is should I stop the gym, is my walking enough? I know it's personal choice but as said getting bored (as you probably are reading this) I enjoy the walking more especially when it's nice and warm, and the gym costs €25 a month, not the end of the world, but if the gym isn't really necessary I could just stick to the walking, it would also save the hour down the gym which takes up at least an hour and a half in total. Last question, honest, when I'm running in the 2 stages obviously my heart rate goes up which is good but doesn't do so as much when walking.
Any advice/help would be greatly received.
Thanks for taking the time out to read this,
Cheers :?: :crazy:

Mr Happy

I think it's more a lifestyle choice than a question of 'too much'. Walking is good but I would suggest on the whole that it doesn't increase heart rate enough to replicate any of what you do in the gym. When I was skint I used to replace the gym with using my bike more and I had a punch bag. However, weather aleays impacted motivation and I find that paying £40 a month for the gym is motivation enough to make me go.

My new found love is swimming - that's my standard at the gym, will always do a mile whether or not I do weights, rowing etc. From a price perspective, if I swim twice a week at my local pool it costs more than the gym, so the rest is free. Classes are often free too - mix it up to keep it fresh!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Thanks Mr Happy, probably need a little more motivation. Haven't the time to walk the beach and the gym that's the problem!!
Cheers

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
My friend and I started walking 2 years ago as part of losing weight. My friend is 82 and I have arthritis in my big toes, so fast walking was never on the cards. Yet, we both lost weight and built up our stamina. I don't know what the pros would say is the ideal exercise regime, but for me and my friend gentle walking several times a week did the trick, and still does. AND... on the whole it's free!!! AND.... We usually manage to stroke a few cats along the way! It's a win win situation.